AN2.1.10 Vassuupanaayikasutta (1/1)

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 29 12:05 AM
      Dear Nina and friends,

      10. "Dvemaa, bhikkhave, vassuupanaayikaa. Katamaa dve? Purimikaa ca pacchimikaa ca. Imaa kho, bhikkhave, dve vassuupanaayikaa"ti. Dasama.m.

      Vassuupanaayikasutta
      periods marked by the beginning of rain / sutta
      On Periods Marked by the Beginning of Rain

      "Dvemaa, bhikkhave, vassuupanaayikaa.
      these two / monks / periods marked by the beginning of rain
      "O monks, these (are) the two periods marked by the beginning of rain.

      * dvemaa = dve imaa: these two.
      - dve (num) two.
      - aya.m (pron) this.
      * bhikkhu (m) monk.
      * vassuupanaayikaa (f) period marked by the begining of rain.
      - vassa (m) rain.
      - upanaayika (adj) beginning.

      Katamaa dve?
      which / two
      Which are the two?

      * katama (pron) which.

      Purimikaa ca pacchimikaa ca.
      first / and / last / and
      The first and the last.

      * purimaka (adj) first.
      * pacchimaka (adj) last.

      Imaa kho, bhikkhave, dve vassuupanaayikaa"ti.
      these / indeed / monks / two / periods marked by the beginning of rain
      Indeed, O monks, these are two periods marked by the beginning of rain."

      * kho (indec) indeed.

      Dasama.m.
      tenth
      The tenth.

      Kammakara.navaggo pa.thamo.
      Kammakara.na Vagga, the first.

      Is this an indication of the knowledge of climatic differences in India? Does a monk have to observe two Vassas if he happens to be in two locations in the same year, and he is there for the period of Vassa at each location? Is this being extended to areas outside India?

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 30 12:32 AM
        Op 29-mrt-2009, om 9:05 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

        > Is this an indication of the knowledge of climatic differences in
        > India? Does a monk have to observe two Vassas if he happens to be
        > in two locations in the same year, and he is there for the period
        > of Vassa at each location? Is this being extended to areas outside
        > India?
        -------
        N:The PTS footnote explains that in Sri Lanka there are two vassas,
        since there are two rainy periods. We have to ask Vinaya experts. The
        monks should not travel about during the rainy season since they
        would trample on the young crops or disturb birds that make their
        nests. This is mentioned in the commentary.

      • Kumara Bhikkhu
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 31 10:49 PM
          It would indeed be hard to translate this correctly without basic knowledge in vassa observation.

          There are 2 points of entry for vassaavaasa (rains residence), one later by a month. The earlier spans the first 3 months of the seasonal vassa (of 4 months), and the later the last 3 months. Thus, they overlap by 2 months.

          Normally a monk enters the earlier one. However, should there be some valid reason, he can to enter the later one.

          E.g., the earlier vassa entry for this year according to the Burmese reckoning is on 7 July (which is the day immediately after the hot season), and the later is 6 August.

          With this, perhaps you'd like to rework the translation.

          For details on vassa observation, see here: <http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/bmc2/bmc2.ch11.html>http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/bmc2/bmc2.ch11.html

          kb

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 25, 2009
            Dear Ven. Kumara and Nina,

            thank you. I gather from your discussion that the rainy season is taken to last for four months. However, the typical rains residence (vassaavaasa) for monks is only three months, and a monk gets to choose either the first three or the last three months.

            So, the term which requires rework is vassuupanaayikaa:

            * vassuupanaayikaa (f) period for observance of the rains retreat.
            [lit.] period marked by the beginning of rain.
            - vassa (m) rain.
            - upanaayika (adj) beginning.

            Hence,

            "Dvemaa, bhikkhave, vassuupanaayikaa.
            these two / monks / periods for observance of the rains retreat
            "O monks, these (are) the two periods for observance of the rains retreat.

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 27, 2009
              I don't find any sense of period in vassuupanaayikaa. I would prefer simply
              vassa entry
              I think it refers to beginning point of vassa rather than the period.

              kb

              Ong Yong Peng wrote thus at 11:57 AM 26-04-09:
              >Dear Ven. Kumara and Nina,
              >
              >thank you. I gather from your discussion that the rainy season is taken to last for four months. However, the typical rains residence (vassaavaasa) for monks is only three months, and a monk gets to choose either the first three or the last three months.
              >
              >So, the term which requires rework is vassuupanaayikaa:
              >
              >* vassuupanaayikaa (f) period for observance of the rains retreat.
              > [lit.] period marked by the beginning of rain.
              > - vassa (m) rain.
              > - upanaayika (adj) beginning.
              >
              >Hence,
              >
              >"Dvemaa, bhikkhave, vassuupanaayikaa.
              >these two / monks / periods for observance of the rains retreat
              >"O monks, these (are) the two periods for observance of the rains retreat.
              >
              >metta,
              >Yong Peng.
              >

              >--- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Kumara Bhikkhu wrote:
              >
              >There are 2 points of entry for vassaavaasa (rains residence), one later by a month. The earlier spans the first 3 months of the seasonal vassa (of 4 months), and the later the last 3 months. Thus, they overlap by 2 months.
              >
              >Normally a monk enters the earlier one. However, should there be some valid reason, he can to enter the later one.
              >
              >E.g., the earlier vassa entry for this year according to the Burmese reckoning is on 7 July (which is the day immediately after the hot season), and the later is 6 August.
              >
              >With this, perhaps you'd like to rework the translation.
              >
              >> "Dvemaa, bhikkhave, vassuupanaayikaa.
              >> these two / monks / periods marked by the beginning of rain
              >> "O monks, these (are) the two periods marked by the beginning of rain.

            • DC Wijeratna
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 29, 2009

                I thought I would make a small contribution to the discussion about Vassuupanaayika. My comments are based on Sri Lankan Practice.
                Vassa originally (most probably) meant rain. However, the meaning in religious practice was ' rains retreat',
                Upanaayika means for a bhikkhu to begin to observe the rains retreat. Or to commence the vassa observances. A bhikkhu must observe 'Vassa'. It is a disciplinary rule. According to the Sutta it could be early/before or later/after. I have found the dates form a Sinhala book 'Vinaya Kamma Book' by Ven. Rerukaane Chandavimala, generally accepted as an authority in Sri Lanaka, as: July and the other is August (these months are approximate). The actual dates are calculated on the basis of the almanack and the lunar calender.

                So as far as the Theravaada tradition is concerned, 'Vassuupanayikaa' refers to the dates on which Vassa commences. .

                D. G. D. C. Wijeratna

              • Kumara Bhikkhu
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 29, 2009
                  Or, if we take the "ika" to refer to the day, then it's
                  days of vassa entry
                  thereby making it clearer.

                  kb

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 1, 2009
                    This is further to my e-m on the above subject.

                    Everything about the vassuupanaayikaa is given in Vinaya Mahavagga: vassuupanaayikakkhandhaka, No need to guess the meaning.

                    Hope this information will help.
                     D. G. D. C. Wijeratna

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 2, 2009
                      Dear Ven. Kumara and DC,

                      thank you. I guess we have finally solved the mystery.

                      * vassuupanaayikaa (f) day marking the beginning of the rains retreat.
                      [lit.] beginning of rain.
                      - vassa (m) rain.
                      - upanaayika (adj) beginning.