AN2.1.9 Cariya Sutta (2/2)
- Dear Nina and friends,
Sambheda.m loko agamissa, yathaa aje.lakaa kukku.tasuukaraa so.nasi`ngaalaa.
to confusion / world / if...had gone / like / goats and sheep / roosters and pigs / dogs and jackals
If the world had gone to confusion, (it will be) like goats and sheep, roosters and pigs, and dogs and jackals.
* sambheda (m) mixing up, confusion.
* gacchati (v) goes.
- agamissa (kaalaatipatti 3rd person singular) if (he) had gone.
* yathaa (adv) like.
* aje.lakaa (m) goats and sheep.
- aja (m) goat.
- e.laka (m) ram, wild goat.
* kukku.tasuukaraa (m) roosters and pigs.
- kukku.ta (m) cock, rooster.
- suukara (m) hog, pig.
* so.nasi`ngaalaa (m) dogs and jackals.
- so.na (m) dog.
- si`ngaala (m) jackal.
Yasmaa ca kho, bhikkhave, ime dve sukkaa dhammaa loka.m paalenti tasmaa pa~n~naayati maataati vaa maatucchaati vaa maatulaaniiti vaa aacariyabhariyaati vaa garuuna.m daaraati vaa"ti.
because / and / indeed / monks / these / two / bright / qualities / world / protect / therefore / is known / mother / or / mother's sister / or / uncle's spouse / or / teacher's spouse / or / of honourable men / spouses / or
Indeed, O monks, and because these two bright qualities protect the world, therefore, "mother" or "mother's sister" or "uncle's spouse" or "teacher's spouse" or "spouses of honourable men" is known.
* yasmaa (indec) because.
* tasmaa (indec) therefore.