Bodhisatta {Re: [Pali] Meditation Stage}

  • Kumara Bhikkhu
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 22, 2009
      DC Wijeratna wrote thus at 12:41 PM 21-03-09:
      >Regarding the teachers of the Bodhisatta please see MN 26, MN 36, MN 85. Here is what MN 26: Ariyaparyesana sutta says.

      Hey, this reminds me of something I came to know. Do you know that there are scholarly works that say the word "bodhisatta" or "bodhisattva" appears to be a later invention?

      >Terms like Hindu Guru are vague and of recent origin. They are not mentioned, as far as I recall in the Canon.

      Yah, "Hindu" as a umbrella term seems quite obviously a later development. I really enjoyed Gunnar's and YP's explanation on it. Now I know how the Chinese name for Hindu (Xin4 Du) came about.

      I can't seem to find "guru" in the Pali. There are many occasions of it in post-canonical texts though. Nonetheless, we can find it as "garu" in the Pali.

      kb