Re: Chinese Canon

  • Yufen Shih
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2002
      Dear Pali friends,

      Some references for you:
      1. Digital Comparative Catalogue of the Paali-Chinese Aagama Literature
      by Marcus Bingenheimer
      This catalogue is a digital reworking of the catalogues published by M. Anesaki (1908) and Chizen Akanuma (1928). It is they who, over the course of many years, have worked out the parallels and correspondences between the two text corpora.
      http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/DBLM/index.htm (run a full text search for it)

      2. In addition to the Taisho Tipitaka, there is another Chinese translation of Tipitaka done and published in 1998 by Yuang-Heng monastery in Taiwan. This version is called "Chinese translation of Theravada Tipitaka". The translation is claimed to be from Pali Tipitaka but there has no comparison yet but seems the translation refered a lot to the Taisho Tipitaka.

      3. someone did a comparison research between the Paali Sa.myutta-nikaaya (SN) and its counterpart in Chinese canon, a translation of a now lost Sanskrit Sa.myuktaagama (Za-ahan-jing) (SA).
      http://www.geocities.com/cmkwk/cmkwk_page.html

      Hope this helps.
      Virtually with real metta,
      yufen

    • Kumaara Bhikkhu
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2002
        At 03:37 PM 03-11-02, Yufen Shih wrote:
        >2. In addition to the Taisho Tipitaka, there is another Chinese translation of Tipitaka done and published in 1998 by Yuang-Heng monastery in Taiwan. This version is called "Chinese translation of Theravada Tipitaka". The translation is claimed to be from Pali Tipitaka but there has no comparison yet but seems the translation refered a lot to the "Japanese translation of Pali tipitaka" (not Taisho).

        For the sake of accuracy, I think the title is better rendered in English as "Tipitaka of the Southern Tradition: a Chinese translation". The translation is not near enough to satisfactory, but we find the Vinaya Pitaka better translated than IB Horner's English translation in many parts.

        We thought of getting the full set for our library, and have ready sponsors. Unfortunately, it is out of print. There's a hearsay that the publisher is not reprinting as it intends to produce a revised edition. I tried to confirm that by sending a mail to the publisher about a year ago but got no reply. I also had trouble accessing their website. Perhaps our Taiwanese friends can find out more.

        Thank you for all the link information, YuFen.

        peace

        Ven Kumâra