Pali Book

  • rahula_80
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 31, 2002
      Hi,

      I am planning to buy a book to learn Pali next week. (I already have
      Pali Primer and Elementary Course in Pali).

      Which would you recommend?

      1. Introduction to Pali by AK Warder

      2. A Pali Grammar by Wilhelm Geiger

      Thanks, Rahula
    • Ong Teng Kee
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 3, 2002
        i always think that pali students didn't learn the pali in correct way like sanskrit students did.they all learn many years from grammar texts in panini etc.
        We should start with pali grammar text from the ancient till last pali grammar niruttidipani by ledi sayadaw.
        I suggest you buy saddaniti from pts instead of the others.

        > I am planning to buy a book to learn Pali next week. (I already have
        > Pali Primer and Elementary Course in Pali).
        >
        > Which would you recommend?
        >
        > 1. Introduction to Pali by AK Warder
        >
        > 2. A Pali Grammar by Wilhelm Geiger
        >
        > Thanks, Rahula

        http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup
      • rahula_80
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 4, 2002
          Hi,

          Can you tell me the titles?

          Also, Warder's and Geiger's are also from PTS. As for Sanskrit, I
          understand, some university are using Coulson's in their first year.

          Thanks, Rahula
        • Jou Smith
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 4, 2002
            > I am planning to buy a book to learn Pali next week. (I already have
            > Pali Primer and Elementary Course in Pali).
            >
            > Which would you recommend?
            >
            > 1. Introduction to Pali by AK Warder
            >
            > 2. A Pali Grammar by Wilhelm Geiger

            A New Course In Reading Paali - Entering the Word of hte Buddha
            by James W Gair and W S Krunatillake
            from Motilal Banarsidass Publishers, Delhi

            > Thanks, Rahula

            Peace from Norman Joseph (Jou) Smith
            ICQ: 183459
            E-mail: josmith.1@...
            V-mail: +61 7 (0)500523778
            Mobile: +61 (0)421 542 653
            S-mail: PO Box 95 Toowong BC Queensland 4066 Australia
            URI: http://www.bigfoot.com/~josmith.1
            E-group: http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/ttbt
          • Ong Teng Kee
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 5, 2002
              the books are saddaniti edited by Smith-75 pounds.It is not a tran but an original pali grammar.you can only get burmese tran and partly in siam,eng and sinhala.Although the dhatu mala and padamala are online and in cdrom,saddamala is not.Also you can get index only from this book.The is another which is a better book compare to geiger-thomas orberlies -pali and prakrit .
              Some said this a the best book on pali grammar but I don't agree because mahanirutti by kaccayana,culanirutti and many other contemporary with ariyavamsa in myanmar also wrote good grammar book like niruttisaramanjusa etc.

              > Also, Warder's and Geiger's are also from PTS. As for Sanskrit, I
              > understand, some university are using Coulson's in their first year.
              >
              > Thanks, Rahula

              http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

              Single & ready to mingle? lavalife.com: Where singles click. Free to Search!
              http://www.lavalife.com/mailcom.epl?a=2116
            • paulocuana
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 7, 2002
                Hi Rahula,

                I hope you got some good replies to this request.
                There is really only one choice here. Warder's
                book is the only way to go. If nothing else Warder
                was a great educator; I hear he's retired now; his
                chapters gradually build knowledge & confidence.
                Be sure to notice when Warder asks for a reading and
                not a translation in the later exercises.
                Just to give you a little comparison the first 66 pages
                of Geiger's book concern phonology, yuck!

                Best Wishes,
                Paul O'Cuana

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 9, 2002
                  Dear Paulocuana,
                  I love Warder, but, it is limited. Gradually one may like to learn more
                  details on compounds, for example. Therefore, I hope that the experts here
                  will publish more on compounds. Saddaniiti is too voluminous for me
                  personally to consult, and all in Pali I believe.
                  Another subject I like very much: particles, prefixes. They are important.
                  Question: kaayaanupassii: contemplating the body. What is the meaning of anu
                  in anupassati? In PED I found among others: towards, after, along, in
                  conformity with. Can it be like: anugacchati: going towards the
                  characteristics of realities?
                  Then the ii in kaayaanupassii: I learnt that it can mean: the person who
                  contemplates, but also: the meaning of doing something habitually: who
                  habitually contemplates. That would be close to the word viharati in this
                  connection.

                  I am all in for compounds and particles, whenever there is an opportunity,
                  but it depends on the time of the experts.
                  Nina.

                  op 08-11-2002 01:48 schreef paulocuana op paulocuana@...:

                  > Hi Rahula,
                  >
                  > I hope you got some good replies to this request.
                  > There is really only one choice here. Warder's
                  > book is the only way to go.
                • Paul O Cuana
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 10, 2002
                    As a novice, I too wish I understood more about these
                    things, particularly prefixes, because It seems that
                    an understanding of these often repeated items would
                    make it easier to navigate around the language.
                    On the other hand, I'm impressed by the argument that
                    the smallest unit of meaning is the sentence; and even
                    so there are times when the meaning of a sentence
                    can't be gleaned from the sentence alone but must be
                    looked at in a wider context. The recent example
                    mentioned in this group where some experts thought the
                    Buddha wished for his words to be taught in any and
                    all dialects, while other experts thought the Buddha
                    permitted only Paali, comes to mind.
                    I guess what I'm saying is that it seems the
                    particular meaning of a word will change depending on
                    the words that immediately precede and follow it.
                    This is why I find the practice in this group of
                    consulting Sanskrit dictionaries so troublesome. It
                    seems our goal should be to find the particular
                    meaning in a given Paali text and not the general
                    meaning in a related language, although this may be
                    helpful too at times.
                    My goal for the group would be to see more discussion
                    of difficult passages, particularly from the Diigha.
                    Best Wishes,
                    Paul

                    http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 11, 2002
                      Dear Paul,
                      Why don't we set up our beginner's corner, and study prefixes and compounds.
                      For those who also know Skrt they have their own corner, that is fine.
                      Beginners helping beginners is useful because it is a kind of reviewing. And
                      hopefully, experts will now and then come to our help.
                      We can make some collections of difficult words. Nice collections of
                      compounds.
                      Warder gives examples of different types of compounds, but not easy.
                      I am thinking of Rahula's example: brahmabhuuto; is this a kammadhaaraya?
                      The first member may be an attribute of the second: a holy being, brahma,
                      holy or divine PED gives this word). Someone who has reached perfection.
                      Bhuuto: p.p. become, or a being. I did not keep Rahula's post, but it
                      seemed some thought it to be nibbaana. But when looking at bhuuto: nibbaana
                      is what has not become (See Udaana text).
                      op 10-11-2002 17:53 schreef Paul O Cuana op paulocuana@...:

                      > As a novice, I too wish I understood more about these
                      > things, particularly prefixes, because It seems that
                      > an understanding of these often repeated items would
                      > make it easier to navigate around the language.

                      > My goal for the group would be to see more discussion
                      > of difficult passages, particularly from the Diigha.
                      N: I would like that, but only in small portions, because time involved is a
                      problem. What have you read, could you give an example of a difficult
                      passage?
                      My favorite is the Dassutara Sutta, and I read the whole Co to this, I
                      really enjoyed this.
                      Nina.
                    • Paul O Cuana
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 12, 2002
                        If there were world enough and time...
                        I plan to retire in about 18 months so I think I'm
                        just warming up until then.
                        Brahmabhuuto is an interesting compound since it would
                        seem to represent one of those phrases that Buddhists
                        would want to claim as their own. It's a good example
                        of taking an existing religious phrase and giving it
                        new meaning, and as you suggest the result is not very
                        satisfying. I checked Childers and he suggests
                        "excellent or best" in this phrase.
                        Best Wishes,
                        Paul

                        http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
                      • zeb1001
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 29, 2002
                          --- In Pali@y..., "Ong Teng Kee" <ongtk@e...> wrote:
                          > > We should start with pali grammar text from the ancient till last
                          pali grammar niruttidipani by ledi sayadaw.
                          > I suggest you buy saddaniti from pts instead of the others.

                          Hi
                          Are any of the ancient Pali grammar books on the Cha.t.tha
                          Sangaayana 3 cd rom? If so what are they listed as?

                          Thank-you
                        • Ong Teng Kee
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 30, 2002
                            See also those grammar texts in sri lankan tipitaka project.They did put even a very rare book called moggallana pancika tika by sangharakkhita in that cd rom.
                            You should buy saddaniti from PTS because one book -suttamala is not listed in the cdrom.Others like moggallana and vutti on it and kaccayana /balavatara ,payogasiddhi along with rupasiddhi are all a must.
                            Unfortunely not even one complete english tran on them available till now.
                            We can only get non english tran on them with at least 6 tran on kaccayana in burmese language (also many tika on it)siam and sinhala /cambodia.
                            No buddhist University spend time to teach students on those 500 pali grammar text as far as I know.

                            > > > We should start with pali grammar text from the ancient till last
                            > pali grammar niruttidipani by ledi sayadaw.
                            > > I suggest you buy saddaniti from pts instead of the others.
                            >
                            > Hi
                            > Are any of the ancient Pali grammar books on the Cha.t.tha
                            > Sangaayana 3 cd rom? If so what are they listed as?
                            >
                            > Thank-you

                            http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

                            One click access to the Top Search Engines
                            http://www.exactsearchbar.com/mailcom