Re: [Pali] sabba.m me khamatiiti

  • James Whelan
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 16, 2009
      I think Wijeratna is perfectly right in respect of mere feelings of worldy pleasure as applied to arahants.

      It must, however, be borne in mind that in this context, if something or someone is 'pleasing' to an arahant, it can also mean that he is expressing an approving moral judgment, as in 'katamo te puggalo khamati', which I cited yesterday. The question in 'katamo te puggalo khamati' logically has to imply that of the two people being talked about, one is 'pleasing' and the other is not. To imply the notion of equanimity into this question deprives it of all sense.

      Remember that even the Buddha did pass moral judgments, and even the Buddha is reported to have found certain things 'pleasing' - e.g. delightful spots by secluded temples.

      A glance through the examples from the scriptures cited in Cone's dictionary will confirm that khamati goes beyond mere equanimity. It can mean pleasing in a wordly sense, and it can also mean pleasing to one's moral sense.

      James