Canon

  • Jason Brien
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 7, 2009
      Hello everyone,

      I am not a translator in which case I apologize if I am intruding, but I
      have been searching the internet extensively for a decent translation of a
      specific Tipitaka text and so far I have come up with a few versions but
      each is lacking something. Ideally I would learn the Pali language and read
      the text in its original format, but as I am already intensively studying
      two other languages at the moment I cannot add a third.

      I am currently searching for an acceptable English version of the Digha
      Nikaya and the Majjhima Nikaya, both within the Sutta Pitaka. I've located a
      couple of translations via amazon.com but the reviews are rather lacklustre,
      and the academically-oriented reviewers have said that key elements have
      been removed by the translators in an unacceptable fashion. (Specifically,
      the repetition of specific teachings over and over again -- such repetition
      is a natural part of the canon literature.)

      It would be immensely helpful to me if someone here could point me in the
      right direction. As you are engaging in translation work yourselves, I trust
      your knowledge, experience, and intuition in so far as which English
      translations would be of a more acceptable degree. I am open to online
      literature that is free for download, or literature that must be purchased.

      Kind blessings,

      Jason

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 9, 2009
        Dear Jason,

        thank you for your message. Allow me to point out that Buddhism is not a religious tradition about the absolute purity and correctness of a particular language. In fact, Buddhists accept that the Buddha taught in the local tongue(s) of his audience(s), using words within the context of the listeners. This is also evident in even the earliest textual records of the Buddha's teachings. In addition, Pali is considered a vernacular, and not the purist form of Sanskrit used by brahmin priests. I have also previously shown that Sanskrit has long been replaced by Hindi, Tamil and a host of other languages to be used in modern-day India.

        It is not exactly necessary to read Pali to understand the Buddha's teachings. I agree with you about retaining the repetitions of the Pali in translations. I have never needed to publish (commercially) my translations, hence I also cannot comprehend the omission of the repetitions. Otherwise, many of the English translations available today are by well-respected monks. However, maintaining the public interest in Pali helps preserved the Pali texts, as has been done over the centuries in South and Southeast Asia, as compared to East Asia, where original manuscripts were replaced by translations and are no longer extant. So, be it Pali or translations, they each has their functions and usefulness.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Jason Brien wrote:

        I am currently searching for an acceptable English version of the Digha Nikaya and the Majjhima Nikaya, both within the Sutta Pitaka. I've located a couple of translations via amazon.com but the reviews are rather lacklustre, and the academically-oriented reviewers have said that key elements have been removed by the translators in an unacceptable fashion. (Specifically, the repetition of specific teachings over and over again -- such repetition is a natural part of the canon literature.)
      • Dipa .
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 9, 2009
          Hi Jason,
          I study the Majjhima Nikaya, translated by Bhikkhu ~Na.namoli and
          Bhikkhu Bodhi. I also read the translations online at Access to Insight,
          most of them are translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu. I use the Digital Pali
          Reader
          to look up specific discourses in Pali and check the way that a word is
          translated there.

          with friendliness,
          Diipaa
          Home: 417-864-4559
          Buddhist Group web site: http://www.geocities.com/sisterdipa/index.html
          Audio Talks http://groups.google.com/group/discourses-of-the-buddha
          http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sutta.html
          Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things are
          not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed,
          these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in them. AN
          3.65

          On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 1:20 AM, Jason Brien <jasonbrien@...> wrote:

          > Hello everyone,
          >
          > I am not a translator in which case I apologize if I am intruding, but I
          > have been searching the internet extensively for a decent translation of a
          > specific Tipitaka text and so far I have come up with a few versions but
          > each is lacking something. Ideally I would learn the Pali language and read
          > the text in its original format, but as I am already intensively studying
          > two other languages at the moment I cannot add a third.
          >
          > I am currently searching for an acceptable English version of the Digha
          > Nikaya and the Majjhima Nikaya, both within the Sutta Pitaka. I've located
          > couple of translations via amazon.com but the reviews are rather
          > lacklustre,
          > and the academically-oriented reviewers have said that key elements have
          > been removed by the translators in an unacceptable fashion. (Specifically,
          > the repetition of specific teachings over and over again -- such repetition
          > is a natural part of the canon literature.)
          >
          > It would be immensely helpful to me if someone here could point me in the
          > right direction. As you are engaging in translation work yourselves, I
          > trust
          > your knowledge, experience, and intuition in so far as which English
          > translations would be of a more acceptable degree. I am open to online
          > literature that is free for download, or literature that must be purchased.
          >
          > Kind blessings,
          >
          > Jason

        • ratana_disciple
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 10, 2009
            Hi,

            I'll reccommend accesstoinsight.org, by thanissaro Bhikkhu.
            Unfortunately, the complete Digha Nikaya and Majjhima Nikaya is not up yet, but the important and more significant ones are avaliable.

            For a complete version of Majjhima Nikaya, I reccomend Bhikkhu Nanamoli and Bhikkhu Bodhi's Translation.

            Do compare different translations as well.
            Of course, knowing Pali will help even more.

            Personally, textual meanings, definations of certain words doesn't satisfy me.

            It is wise to consult and discuss these suttas with practising monks or practioners, they can shine light on unexpected perspectives.

            The best way to truly comprehend the meanings behind the words, is through practicing them and "see it" ourselves. It is a more complete understanding as compared to textual meanings.

            Be Awakened,
            Silatharo