Re: [Pali] Lesson Six Pali Primer question

  • Dipa .
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 6, 2009
      Thank you James.
      mitto,
      Diipaa
      Home: 417-864-4559
      Buddhist Group web site: http://www.geocities.com/sisterdipa/index.html
      Audio Talks http://groups.google.com/group/discourses-of-the-buddha
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sutta.html
      Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things are
      not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed,
      these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in them. AN
      3.65

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 6, 2009
        Dear Dipa,

        you may have read the question incorrectly. Please see the original at VRI: http://www.vri.dhamma.org/publications/pali/primer/lesson06.html

        I also encourage you to refer to tipitaka.net's solutions, as it has gone through our group's assessment, and we had picked up some mistakes in the original publication.

        http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/pali.php?palidd=a06

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Dipa wrote:

        I am about to finish up lesson six in the Pali Primer and have a question regarding the answer for 16. The sentence is:
        The doctor's teacher calls the child's uncle.
      • grasje
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 7, 2009
          Dear Dipa,

          I think the whole group has overlooked that "the doctor's teacher cals" is most likely a single doctor, and thus vejjassa and not vejjana.m.
          Exept if you think the teacher teaches a class full of doctor's, then vejjana.m is the correct answer. My english is not good enough to decide if "the doctor's teacher" might imply more doctor's.

          By the way: if you are now already on lesson 6, you make excellent progress!

          Kind regards,

          Ria

          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Ong Yong Peng" <palismith@...> wrote:

          > Dear Dipa,
          >
          > you may have read the question incorrectly. Please see the original at VRI: http://www.vri.dhamma.org/publications/pali/primer/lesson06.html
          >
          > I also encourage you to refer to tipitaka.net's solutions, as it has gone through our group's assessment, and we had picked up some mistakes in the original publication.
          >
          > http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/pali.php?palidd=a06
          >

          > metta,
          > Yong Peng.
          >

          > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Dipa wrote:
          >
          > I am about to finish up lesson six in the Pali Primer and have a question regarding the answer for 16. The sentence is:
          > The doctor's teacher calls the child's uncle.

        • James Whelan
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 7, 2009
            He might have been a lecturer at a medical school. But this digression will hardly help Dipa, who was rightly puzzled at why doctor's (singular) was translated as vejjaana.m (plural).

            To suggest that the whole group has overlooked that doctor's is most likely to be a single doctor is itself to overlook the fact that as a matter of simple English and simple Pali, doctor's can only be singular and has to be vejjassa, and doctors' can only be plural and has to be vejjaana.m

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 7, 2009
              Dear James and Ria,

              this is the original question.

              16. The doctors' teacher calls the child's uncle.

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 7, 2009
                Oh,
                Now I see that the placement of the apostrophe is after the s in doctors.
                I have no previous knowledge of placing an apostrophe after the last letter
                to signify plurality. All these years of reading and I have never noticed
                this.
                Well better late than never to learn. Thanks to all of you for helping me
                to understand and learn. English grammar is not a strong point for me
                as you can tell. I love learning Paali.

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 7, 2009
                  Dear Dipa,

                  all the while I thought your eyes are playing tricks on you that you read doctors' as doctor's. That did happen to myself and friends when we were kids and under stress, especially sitting for English language exams (silly mistakes we called them). I did not realise that you are unaware of the use of the apostrophe sign, as a matter of fact that you live in the United States.

                  This is quite interesting and makes me laugh, but at least, I will be more upfront when discussing aspects of English grammar and punctuation, even though this list is about Pali, not English, language.

                  I used to discuss English grammar a fair bit in our earlier messages, but sense some members (from English-speaking nations?) not very happy about it.

                  ;-)

                  --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Dipa wrote:

                  Now I see that the placement of the apostrophe is after the s in doctors. I have no previous knowledge of placing an apostrophe after the last letter to signify plurality. All these years of reading and I have never noticed this.
                • Stephen Hodge
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 7, 2009
                    Dipa,

                    > I have no previous knowledge of placing an apostrophe after the last
                    > letter
                    > to signify plurality. All these years of reading and I have never noticed
                    > this.

                    Actually, to be precise, it's the plural possessive (genitive) marker. But
                    you're in good comapny ~ it seems that lots of native English speakers don't
                    know the different uses of the apostrophe. I cannot tell you how many times
                    I have seem half-literate writers (especially in the internet) writing
                    "it's" (= it is) when they mean "its" (= of it) ~ a confusing exception
                    where the apostrophe is used to denote elision rather than possession.

                    Best wishes,
                    Stephen Hodge
                  • Kumara Bhikkhu
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 9, 2009
                      I vaguely recalled that someone compiled the errors in Pali Primer. Or was it just corrections to the answer key? I believe someone here knows.

                      kb