Re: devo {Re: [Pali] The New Pali Course Part III [1/120]}

  • Mahinda Palihawadana
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2009
      On 3/2/09, Kumara Bhikkhu <yg@...> wrote:
      > Don't you think "devo" here may be better translated as the sky or rain
      > cloud?
      This is right. 'deva' is a common Pali term for rain, rainy sky or
      cloud . This meaning is noted in PTS Dictionary under DEVA. So devo
      vassati means "it rains" or "it is raining".

      Mahinda
    • Kumara Bhikkhu
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 8, 2009
        YP,

        Since you're a S'porean Chinese, perhaps I can assume that you know Hokkien and probably Mandarin too. In Hokkien (my own non-standard transliteration), "thnee boei lok hor liao," and in Mandarin (hanyu pinyin) "tian yao xia yu liao" can be properly translated to idiomatic English as "It's going rain."

        "Thnee" and "tian" are also normally used to mean god, as in (Hokkien) "thnee tui wa chin nya ho" and (Mandarin) "tian dui wo heng hao". In English, "God is very kind to me."

        The same applies for "devo" in Pali.

        So, we can see how Chinese and Indian languages (and possibly other Asian languages too), share some parallel ways of expression. When translating this kind of expression literally to English, it can sometimes be pretty weird. Another example is "kamma.m karoti". I leave it to you to see how that is the same too.

        kb

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 9, 2009
          Dear Ven. Kumara,

          bhante, my vocabulary of Hokkien in roman characters is very limited. Nonetheless, I appreciate you making a second post on this topic. Sometimes, I may not be able to make a reply soon, and it may just got slipped away.

          I didn't get the translation right the first time because I was not aware of this alternate meaning of 'deva'. Thanks to you and Mahinda for highlighting the point.

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 13, 2009
            [2/120]

            The New Pali Course Part III (1950)
            Prof. A. P. Buddhadatta Maha Nayaka Thera

            Chapter VI How to Shorten A Sentence

            (continue...)

            (e) "Bhagavaa pi setacchatta.m pahaaya hatthagata.m...rajja.m nissajjitvaa pabbajito, te pi setacchattaani pahaaya hatthagataani rajjaani nissajjitvaa pabbajitaa."

            YP: The Blessed One too abandoned the white parasol, handed over the kingdom-in-possession and left the household life, they too abandoned the white parasols, handed over the kingdoms-in-possession and left the household life.

            Shortened: Bhagavaa pi te pi setacchattaani pahaaya hatthagata-rajjaani nissajjitvaa pabbajitaa.

            YP: The Blessed One too, they too, abandoned the white parasols, handed over the kingdoms-in-possession, and left the household life.

            (f) "Tumhe Kapilavatthu-vaasike gahetvaa gajjatha, ye so.na-sigaalaadayo viya attano bhaginiihi saddhi.m sa.mvasi.msu."

            Shortened: So.na-sigaalaadayo viya sakabhaginiihi saha vutthe Kapilavatthu-vaasike gahetvaa tumhe gajjatha.

            YP: Does anyone like to help with these two sentences? Thanks.

            (g) "Raajaana.m passitu.m aagacchantaa a~n~nassa rajja.m apii.letvaa attano attano rajjapadesen'eva aagamissanti c'eva gamissanti caati."

            YP: (Those) coming to see the king, having subjugated the kingdom of others, will come and so will go with their own local sovereignty only.

            Shortened: Raajadassana.m aagacchantaa pararajja.m apii.letvaa saka-saka-rajjapadesen'eva gamanaagamana.m karissantii ti.

            YP: (Those) coming to see the king, having subjugated the other kingdom, will make the going-and-coming with their own local sovereignty only.

            (h) "Saa patta.m gahetvaa aakaase khipi, patto aakaase a.t.thaasi."

            YP: She took the bowl and threw (it) into the sky, the bowl stayed in the air.

            Shortened: Taaya gahetvaa aakaasa.m khitto patto tattha a.t.thaasi.

            YP: The bowl, taken by her and thrown to the air, stood there.

            (i) "Bhagavaa mahaa-bhikkhusa`ngha-parivuto Raajagaha.m agamaasi, tattha gatakaale Mahaa-Moggallaanatthero parinibbaayi."

            YP: The Blessed One, accompanied by the great community of monks, went to Rajagaha, there, at the time (he) went, the elder Maha-Moggallana attained final emancipation.

            Shortened: Mahaabhikkhusa`ngha-parivute Bhagavati Raajagaha.m gate Mahaa-Moggallaanatthero parinibbaayi.

            YP: When the Blessed One, accompanied by the great community of monks, went to Rajagaha, the elder Maha-Moggallana attained final emancipation.

            ref: http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/synthesis/pali3.00.cdv