Re: [Pali] Pronouncing ~n~ before j or other consonants

  • James Whelan
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2009
      Dear phil,

      It's called a tilde !

      As for the pronunciation. when ~n is followed by a vowel, it is pronounced with the full -ny- sound, as you correctly say, just like the Spanish se~nor. .

      However, when it is immediately followed by -j- or -c-, the separate full -y- sound disappears, and the only difference between ~n and the 'normal' -n- is that the ~n is pronounced with the tip of the tongue at the same point at which the -j- or -c- is articulated. One way to get it right is to feel where your tongue is when you pronounce a dental t/d (with the tongue touching the top back of the teeth) , then pronounce c/j. You will notice that for c/j the tip of the tongue is slightly further back into the mouth. The tongue is in these exact same spots for the pronunciation of -n- and -~n- respectively.

      If you know Spanish, say 'santa sancha', and you will notice that the tongue is slightly further back along the palate (on the ridge behind the teeth) in 'sancha'. Exactly the same in Pali (and Sanskrit). The ~n is 'coloured' by the following j/c sound.

      If you get the tongue in the right place for dental t/d, then a bit further back for c/j, and further back still for the subdotted .t/.d, pronounce the preceding n/~n/.n at that same spot and it will come out right automatically.

      Hope this helps,

      Metta,
      James Whelan

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2009
        Hello James and Nina

        > If you get the tongue in the right place for dental t/d, then a bit
        further back for c/j, and further back still for the subdotted .t/.d,
        pronounce the preceding n/~n/.n at that same spot and it will come out
        right automatically.

        > Hope this helps,

        Thank you James. I'm an English as a Second Language teacher by
        profession, so your thorough explanation was crystal clear to me.

        Thanks also Nina. That site is very helpful for isolating sounds.

        BTW, I mentionned that my links to that Dhammapada in Pali and
        English with full grammar notes (and individual word and full sentence
        pronunciation clips) were dead, but for some reason when I access
        through ATI they work. Good news for me. That is a super study aid.

        Metta,

        Phil