Re: AN Sutta Translation Exercise

    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 1, 2009

      a quick look at my personal records revealed that we were slightly
      ahead than previously thought. We had, in fact, completed up to
      Sa.myojana Sutta. The web record has been updated accordingly:
      http://www.tipitaka.net/tipitaka/spectra/duka_nipata

      Previously, we have completed AN1, and stopped at Atapaniiya Sutta of
      AN2. Links to our previous discussions are available from this page:
      http://www.tipitaka.net/tipitaka/spectra/anguttara_nikaya
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1, 2009
        yes, that is in my files. I hope that Ven. Yutadhammo is still
        around, he helped us.
        Nina.
        Op 1-mrt-2009, om 11:02 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 7, 2009

          I like to inform everyone that in addition to the typical mailing list postings, the group's site also allow members to sign in and upload Files, upload Photos (subject to moderator's approval), add Links, add Database entries, create Polls, add Calendar entries, and more recently entries to the Group Applications.

          There are currently four, and these can change according to the requirements of our group. As usual, you need a Yahoo! ID to access these member-only extras.

          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 15 5:00 AM

            a new design for Tipitaka Network homepage has been developed. Previous suggestions from members, e.g. Nina and John, have been considered. Implementation of the new design will take some time, but it is not given a priority in my busy schedule now. However, I still plan to complete the new homepage by Vesak 2010. ;-)

            Thank you.

            Message 5 of 18 , May 1, 2009

              Vesak day falls on the first full-moon day of May. Some countries and communities around the world may celebrate this occasion on a different day. For example, in East Asia, some would celebrate Vesak a week before the full-moon day. Vesak is a public holiday in some countries, but not in others.

              Nevertheless, Vesak is a time we come together to commemorate the birth, enlightenment and parinibbana of the Buddha. Usually, at this time of the year, there will be all sorts of activities going on in Buddhist temples and centres. Many of these are traditional chanting and ceremonies to celebrate this auspicious event.

              I like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a happy and safe Vesak. I will resume scheduled postings on May 13. However, I will still reply to all ongoing discussions.

              Message 6 of 18 , May 4, 2009
                Thank you and also the best wishes to you for Vesak.
                I am always glad to be reminded of full moon, the Dutch newspapers do
                not indicate this, no calender. I can only see the moon when it is
                not overcast. Which day is it? Lodewijk and I wanted to do some Vesak
                discussions, question and answer on that day. We like to commemorate
                the occasion in a special way.
                Nina.
                Op 1-mei-2009, om 12:21 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

                Message 7 of 18 , May 5, 2009
                  Dear Nina, Gunnar, Jacques and friends,

                  hotu te sukhii Vesak.

                  I am not exactly an astronomer, but I understand that on a full moon night, a person can view the entire moon no matter where he is on Earth. However, the "absolute" full moon will probably be only a momentary event to the sharp eyes, since the Earth and its moon are in constant motion.

                  Most of the websites I check mention May 9 for the next full moon. But, the "absolute" full moon can happen anytime throughout that day, depending on your location. In Amsterdam, the time would be 6.02am, however, it is summer in Netherlands now, and the sunrise will be at 5.57am. Hopefully, you can still catch a glimpse of the full moon.

                  It also happens that Mother's Day falls on the next day, May 10, Sunday. So, I take this opportunity to wish all mothers a happy Mother's Day too.

                  Message 8 of 18 , May 5, 2009
                    Thank you very much. I do not mind about the absolute time,
                    celebration with Dhamma discussions can be all day!
                    Nina.
                    Op 5-mei-2009, om 15:53 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

                    Message 9 of 18 , May 16, 2009

                      I write to inform you that seriesgplan.pdf (in the Files section, Yahoo! login required) has been updated. This file contains schedule and links to all postings under this series.

                      I have also posted a schedule of our postings, seriesgplan.pdf, under the Files section of the group's Yahoo! page (Yahoo! signin required). This schedule allows one to look up any of the previous postings by clicking on the relevant link. I highly recommend those who are working on the exercises to download this PDF document for reference. It also lists the estimate time new postings will appear on the list. The schedule reveals that we should complete the book in the first half of the year.
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 14, 2009

                        the plan is to continue our online reading of Warder's after we have completed the postings of The New Pali Course Part II. Florent and myself are working our way through the exercises, and we are left with the remaining three. I have posted half of Exercise 24 earlier, and we are likely to complete all postings by August. This means we can resume Warder's in September.

                        For those who are keen to participate in the discussion but need further information, here it is.

                        Introduction to Pali, Third Edition
                        by A.K. Warder
                        Pali Text Society, 1991, revised reprint 1995

                        More information, including sample text from the book:
                        http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/synthesis/intro.00.cdv

                        I will be making available more sample text in July.

                        In our first reading in 2007, we completed lessons 1 to 16. In this coming second reading, we will work through lessons 17 to 23.

                        Lesson 17 summarizes the discussion of nouns in the preceding lessons, before moving on to introduce new concepts. I think this is a good bridging point for many of us. Those who had moved ahead with the book, this is a good chance to join the discussions with your thoughts and questions. Those who are new to the book, please go through the first 16 lessons to be ready for "round 2". Those who stopped at lesson 16, this is the chance to get back to it and study together.

                        At the moment, I am re-reading the earlier lessons, and I am currently at lesson 10. With this second reading, I hope to achieve the following:

                        1. continue with the online group reading, probably the first of its kind for a Pali grammar;

                        2. continue with the study guide for this book, which also stopped at lesson 16;

                        3. re-commence Pali-Day-by-Day series C, which was completed up to lesson 21 by John (Kelly), hence I will be posting my solutions for lessons 22 and 23;

                        4. compile a Pali grammatical terms/concepts index, which is similar to the one at the back of the book but also different.

                        This index will be complementary to another list we already have: http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/pgt/

                        I believe this index will be useful, especially with page numbers, for references to the book itself on grammatical concepts, and also in our study of classical grammars like the Saddaniti.

                        Lessons 17 to 23 covers topics which we have already seen in other texts, however the exercises at the end of the lessons will be new to those who have not attempted them before, including myself. This is where the opportunity is for us to further our understanding and knowledge of Pali.

                      • ypong001
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 5, 2009

                          now that we have completed The New Pali Course Part II, we shall move on with Warder's Introduction to Pali Lessons 17 to 23. As we are aware, John (Kelly) had previously posted solutions for up to Lesson 21 under Pali-Day-by-Day series C. John has agreed to join us in our group reading, and also help with the exercises in Lessons 22 and 23.

                          Basically, I will be working through Lessons 17 through 21, and posting only discussion questions as I go along. Since John had already provided solutions for these exercises, I will not be repeating them again. However, I will be posting the solutions for Lessons 22 and 23, which will take place at the end of this group reading. Given the increased length of each exercise, compared to the first 16 lessons, I plan to take longer to conduct this group reading.

                          Now that Jim is working through Saddaniti, I guess I can simply focus on Warder's for now, and other Intermediate level materials in the future.

                          I look forward to your participation.

                        • yongpeng.ong
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 18, 2009

                            as the year 2009 approaches an end, I like to make a final group announcement. I am keen to "lock in" the book Pali Made Easy for our Pali Study Series.

                            About the book

                            Pali Made Easy by Ven. Balangoda Ananda Maitreya Mahanayaka Thera. The book contains 36 lessons, and is suitable for all levels. One advantage is the answer key to the exercises is found at the back of the book, making self-study easy. This book is available from the Buddhist Cultural Centre in Sri Lanka. ISBN: 955-9219-76-6

                            http://www.buddhistcc.net/

                            About the author

                            The late venerable Balangoda Ananda Maitreya (1896-1998) was a prominent teacher and writer of Buddhism. Scholar monk Bhikkhu Bodhi was ordinated under the late venerable.

                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balangoda_Ananda_Maitreya
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhikkhu_Bodhi
                            http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/bodhi/bam.html
                            http://www.infolanka.com/org/diary/179.html

                            Series delivery

                            Unlike the earlier series, I do not plan to make regular postings for this book. The first posting will probably be in 2010. Further, given that the book comes with an answer key, I am thinking if I still post individual solution.

                            Another approach is that someone who is interested to lead this series, and I am totally opened to this. I welcome volunteers, recommendations and feedback. Thank you.