Saddaniti Chapter 1 (2)

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2009

      thanks to Jim, Nina, George and Florent for contributing to the
      previous discussion.

      I was able to have a good glimpse through Steven Collins' book in
      January when I was in Singapore. The book isn't easily available now,
      so I do not have a copy yet. However, I have made a copy of Appendix 1
      of the book: Pali Grammatical Terms, which I shall use as a reference
      as we progress through Saddaniiti. Examples from the appendix include

      * aakhyaata, verb.
      * dhaatu, verbal root.

      Our previous discussions also highlighted the following:

      * vikara.na, conjugational sign.

      Hence, the chapter name: Savikara.na-akhyaata-vibhaaga, "Division of
      verbs with conjugational signs", or simply "Verbs with Conjugational
      Signs"

      attha-atisaya-yogato parattham-pi dhaareti-iti dhaatu,
      meaning-distinction-(from) application / other meaning - too / bears /
      verbal root
      "from the application of distinction in meaning too, bears (in) other
      meaning(s)", (is) the verbal root,

      attha (m) sense, meaning.
      atisaya (m) distinction.
      yoga (m) application.