Re: An Elementary Pali Course

  • grasje
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 8, 2009
      Dear sister Dipa,

      I really doubt if it is available as a hard copy. Maybe someone else
      on the forum knows more.

      It will take you quite a while to work through the whole book, you
      could start by printing only the first 5 lessons or so, and printout
      more when you need them.
      I would personally recommend to use Da Silva's Pali primer as well.
      Here you could start with lesson 1-8, they cover the same grammar as
      lesson 1-5 from the elementary course.
      In this way you have more opportunity for practising the declensions
      of nouns. If your native language does not have declensions of nouns,
      (like e.g. in Russian)it will take you some time to get used to it.
      Both courses can be downloaded from:
      http://pratyeka.org/narada/
      If you want them editable and expanded with a study guide (not PDF) use
      http://orunla.org/tm/pali/htpali/pcourse.html
      Da Silva's is available (in non-PDF) on
      http://www.vri.dhamma.org/publications/pali/primer/

      As far as I know, the excellent people who wrote the courses allowed
      them to be available online, as a gift of dhamma. No copyright troubles.

      In the files on this forum there is a spreadsheet with with you can
      practise the vocabulary. On the last page of the sheet there is an
      overview of the correspondence of lessons between the pali primer and
      the elementary course.

      I wish you all the best with your study.

      Ria Glas

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 9, 2009
        Dear Dipa,

        there is still copyright for the book, which prevent you from
        commercial sales. If you are really using it for self-study, you can
        print it out, but do not bind it permanently.