An Elementary Pali Course

  • Dipa
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 8, 2009
      Is there a way I can get a hard copy of the book "An Elementary Pali
      Course"? I realize that it is online, but I would like a hard copy of
      the latest edition. Is there a copyright that would prevent me from
      having it printed?
    • grasje
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 8, 2009
        Dear sister Dipa,

        I really doubt if it is available as a hard copy. Maybe someone else
        on the forum knows more.

        It will take you quite a while to work through the whole book, you
        could start by printing only the first 5 lessons or so, and printout
        more when you need them.
        I would personally recommend to use Da Silva's Pali primer as well.
        Here you could start with lesson 1-8, they cover the same grammar as
        lesson 1-5 from the elementary course.
        In this way you have more opportunity for practising the declensions
        of nouns. If your native language does not have declensions of nouns,
        (like e.g. in Russian)it will take you some time to get used to it.
        Both courses can be downloaded from:
        http://pratyeka.org/narada/
        If you want them editable and expanded with a study guide (not PDF) use
        http://orunla.org/tm/pali/htpali/pcourse.html
        Da Silva's is available (in non-PDF) on
        http://www.vri.dhamma.org/publications/pali/primer/

        As far as I know, the excellent people who wrote the courses allowed
        them to be available online, as a gift of dhamma. No copyright troubles.

        In the files on this forum there is a spreadsheet with with you can
        practise the vocabulary. On the last page of the sheet there is an
        overview of the correspondence of lessons between the pali primer and
        the elementary course.

        I wish you all the best with your study.

        Ria Glas

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 9, 2009
          Dear Dipa,

          there is still copyright for the book, which prevent you from
          commercial sales. If you are really using it for self-study, you can
          print it out, but do not bind it permanently.