Re: Plan 2009

    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 6, 2009
      Dear Ria and friends,

      thank you, and a great welcome to Ria and all new members.

      Ria, I am glad to learn of your interest in Pali. I am also a student
      myself. It is also a virtue in Buddhism that we continuously learn and
      improve ourselves. We can also apply these principles to our work and
      household lives.

      I hope you can remain active with the group. There are in fact many
      Dutch members here, the most prominent being Nina, who has been an
      excellent mentor to myself and many others.

      I thank you for the files you have uploaded. I will take a look at
      them again when I have some spare time this weekend. The exercise
      suggestions you made are great. You are always welcome to lead any
      discussion beneficial for the group. You are also welcome to
      participate in our AN translation exercise, which is resumed this
      year. There is also the postings Florent and I make, and the Saddaniti
      discussions by our more advance members.

      I am also glad that you are also computer literate. Many of the
      contents in the mailing list are worthy to be captured on the web, but
      organising these material is too much for me. I am investigating ways
      of doing this, but some little help will be great.

      I am proposing the slides because that is something I can work on
      without much assistance. The slides can incorporate voice and music to
      be multimedia, or the voice and music can be added to the slides to be
      video later. Is there anyone happy to lend his or her voice? ;-)

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, grasje wrote:

      I am still a studens wrestling with the first lessons of the Paali
      primer. I study at home, I have no teacher around. the biggest beed
      for me would not be slideshows but more and more varied exercises.
      (audio-files would be great, though) I hope that once I have finished
      Da Silva's book I can start reading some texts, and that it is then
      possible to study the dhammapada (on the taiwanese site), or the
      anguttara nikaya (in the digital pali reader), and thus combine
      pali-study with real texts.

      For now, I can only work with the available course-material. The
      translation exercises require a lot of dicipline (I know it is a
      buddhist virtue). More exercises and variation in the exercises would
      make it a lot easyer for me to hammer the declensions and conjugations
      into my head. Exercises like: "read the story and answer the
      questions". "find all genitive cases in the story". "Put the next
      sentences into plural if the sentence is in singular, put them into
      singular if the sentence is in plural" "fill in the missing
      declensions in the next sentences", "give the full declensions in
      singular and plural of the next words" "give the full conjugation of
      these verbs", "write the next words in the correct alphabetical order".

      Of course I am willing to help in making exercises like this, and
      provide the answers, but someone who knows a bit more than I do should
      check the answers.
    • grasje
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 7, 2009
        Dear Yong Peng

        Thank you for your kind and encouraging words. I knew Nina is Dutch and
        a great scholar, she wrote a treatise on the abiddhamma in Dutch.
        I hope in the end I can learn Pali sufficiently good enough to be able
        to translate texts into Dutch. But I guess it will take me a few years,
        if ever, to learn the necessary skills. (But: The task that is never
        started takes the longest to complete!)

        I have started with making an exercise for all the declensions of nouns.
        I will upload it to the files. After studying Pali primer lesson 1-8 and
        the elementary course lesson 1-5 one should be able to make this
        exercise. I had to give the answers myself, and for me it worked to
        enhance my understanding of the declensions.

        I hope someone with more understanding of the language will have a look
        at it. I discovered that I have no spelling checker in pali on my
        computer. A few words are in italics, I doubt if they are correct.

        Kind regards,

        Ria

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 27, 2009

          as discussed early in January, I will be resuming our group project on
          the translation of Anguttara Nikaya. I hope that we can incorporate
          the STAMP approach, with which we go beyond mere linguistic
          translation and include contextual discussion, textual analysis,
          social and personal implications, and contemporary applications as we
          progress through the suttas.

          My current plan is to have only monthly postings, instead of
          weekly/fortnightly postings as before, and also to limit to only ten
          postings in the year. This is largely due to my availability, partly
          because I am also working on Saddaniiti (and other stuff on this list)
          as well.

          There is probably some "catch-up" for me to get back to full swing of
          the action. However, I will try not to disappoint with the upcoming
          posting. Previously, we have completed AN1, and stopped at Atapaniiya
          Sutta of AN2. Links to our previous discussions are available from
          this page: http://www.tipitaka.net/tipitaka/spectra/anguttara_nikaya

          Last but not least, I look forward to your participation and
          contribution to a better understanding of the Buddha's teachings.

          with metta,
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 1, 2009

            a quick look at my personal records revealed that we were slightly
            ahead than previously thought. We had, in fact, completed up to
            Sa.myojana Sutta. The web record has been updated accordingly:
            http://www.tipitaka.net/tipitaka/spectra/duka_nipata

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 1, 2009
              yes, that is in my files. I hope that Ven. Yutadhammo is still
              around, he helped us.
              Nina.
              Op 1-mrt-2009, om 11:02 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 7, 2009

                I like to inform everyone that in addition to the typical mailing list postings, the group's site also allow members to sign in and upload Files, upload Photos (subject to moderator's approval), add Links, add Database entries, create Polls, add Calendar entries, and more recently entries to the Group Applications.

                There are currently four, and these can change according to the requirements of our group. As usual, you need a Yahoo! ID to access these member-only extras.

                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 15 5:00 AM

                  a new design for Tipitaka Network homepage has been developed. Previous suggestions from members, e.g. Nina and John, have been considered. Implementation of the new design will take some time, but it is not given a priority in my busy schedule now. However, I still plan to complete the new homepage by Vesak 2010. ;-)

                  Thank you.

                  Message 8 of 18 , May 1, 2009

                    Vesak day falls on the first full-moon day of May. Some countries and communities around the world may celebrate this occasion on a different day. For example, in East Asia, some would celebrate Vesak a week before the full-moon day. Vesak is a public holiday in some countries, but not in others.

                    Nevertheless, Vesak is a time we come together to commemorate the birth, enlightenment and parinibbana of the Buddha. Usually, at this time of the year, there will be all sorts of activities going on in Buddhist temples and centres. Many of these are traditional chanting and ceremonies to celebrate this auspicious event.

                    I like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a happy and safe Vesak. I will resume scheduled postings on May 13. However, I will still reply to all ongoing discussions.

                    Message 9 of 18 , May 4, 2009
                      Thank you and also the best wishes to you for Vesak.
                      I am always glad to be reminded of full moon, the Dutch newspapers do
                      not indicate this, no calender. I can only see the moon when it is
                      not overcast. Which day is it? Lodewijk and I wanted to do some Vesak
                      discussions, question and answer on that day. We like to commemorate
                      the occasion in a special way.
                      Nina.
                      Op 1-mei-2009, om 12:21 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

                      Message 10 of 18 , May 5, 2009
                        Dear Nina, Gunnar, Jacques and friends,

                        hotu te sukhii Vesak.

                        I am not exactly an astronomer, but I understand that on a full moon night, a person can view the entire moon no matter where he is on Earth. However, the "absolute" full moon will probably be only a momentary event to the sharp eyes, since the Earth and its moon are in constant motion.

                        Most of the websites I check mention May 9 for the next full moon. But, the "absolute" full moon can happen anytime throughout that day, depending on your location. In Amsterdam, the time would be 6.02am, however, it is summer in Netherlands now, and the sunrise will be at 5.57am. Hopefully, you can still catch a glimpse of the full moon.

                        It also happens that Mother's Day falls on the next day, May 10, Sunday. So, I take this opportunity to wish all mothers a happy Mother's Day too.

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 5, 2009
                          Thank you very much. I do not mind about the absolute time,
                          celebration with Dhamma discussions can be all day!
                          Nina.
                          Op 5-mei-2009, om 15:53 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

                          Message 12 of 18 , May 16, 2009

                            I write to inform you that seriesgplan.pdf (in the Files section, Yahoo! login required) has been updated. This file contains schedule and links to all postings under this series.

                            I have also posted a schedule of our postings, seriesgplan.pdf, under the Files section of the group's Yahoo! page (Yahoo! signin required). This schedule allows one to look up any of the previous postings by clicking on the relevant link. I highly recommend those who are working on the exercises to download this PDF document for reference. It also lists the estimate time new postings will appear on the list. The schedule reveals that we should complete the book in the first half of the year.
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 14, 2009

                              the plan is to continue our online reading of Warder's after we have completed the postings of The New Pali Course Part II. Florent and myself are working our way through the exercises, and we are left with the remaining three. I have posted half of Exercise 24 earlier, and we are likely to complete all postings by August. This means we can resume Warder's in September.

                              For those who are keen to participate in the discussion but need further information, here it is.

                              Introduction to Pali, Third Edition
                              by A.K. Warder
                              Pali Text Society, 1991, revised reprint 1995

                              More information, including sample text from the book:
                              http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/synthesis/intro.00.cdv

                              I will be making available more sample text in July.

                              In our first reading in 2007, we completed lessons 1 to 16. In this coming second reading, we will work through lessons 17 to 23.

                              Lesson 17 summarizes the discussion of nouns in the preceding lessons, before moving on to introduce new concepts. I think this is a good bridging point for many of us. Those who had moved ahead with the book, this is a good chance to join the discussions with your thoughts and questions. Those who are new to the book, please go through the first 16 lessons to be ready for "round 2". Those who stopped at lesson 16, this is the chance to get back to it and study together.

                              At the moment, I am re-reading the earlier lessons, and I am currently at lesson 10. With this second reading, I hope to achieve the following:

                              1. continue with the online group reading, probably the first of its kind for a Pali grammar;

                              2. continue with the study guide for this book, which also stopped at lesson 16;

                              3. re-commence Pali-Day-by-Day series C, which was completed up to lesson 21 by John (Kelly), hence I will be posting my solutions for lessons 22 and 23;

                              4. compile a Pali grammatical terms/concepts index, which is similar to the one at the back of the book but also different.

                              This index will be complementary to another list we already have: http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/pgt/

                              I believe this index will be useful, especially with page numbers, for references to the book itself on grammatical concepts, and also in our study of classical grammars like the Saddaniti.

                              Lessons 17 to 23 covers topics which we have already seen in other texts, however the exercises at the end of the lessons will be new to those who have not attempted them before, including myself. This is where the opportunity is for us to further our understanding and knowledge of Pali.

                            • ypong001
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 5, 2009

                                now that we have completed The New Pali Course Part II, we shall move on with Warder's Introduction to Pali Lessons 17 to 23. As we are aware, John (Kelly) had previously posted solutions for up to Lesson 21 under Pali-Day-by-Day series C. John has agreed to join us in our group reading, and also help with the exercises in Lessons 22 and 23.

                                Basically, I will be working through Lessons 17 through 21, and posting only discussion questions as I go along. Since John had already provided solutions for these exercises, I will not be repeating them again. However, I will be posting the solutions for Lessons 22 and 23, which will take place at the end of this group reading. Given the increased length of each exercise, compared to the first 16 lessons, I plan to take longer to conduct this group reading.

                                Now that Jim is working through Saddaniti, I guess I can simply focus on Warder's for now, and other Intermediate level materials in the future.

                                I look forward to your participation.

                              • yongpeng.ong
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 18, 2009

                                  as the year 2009 approaches an end, I like to make a final group announcement. I am keen to "lock in" the book Pali Made Easy for our Pali Study Series.

                                  About the book

                                  Pali Made Easy by Ven. Balangoda Ananda Maitreya Mahanayaka Thera. The book contains 36 lessons, and is suitable for all levels. One advantage is the answer key to the exercises is found at the back of the book, making self-study easy. This book is available from the Buddhist Cultural Centre in Sri Lanka. ISBN: 955-9219-76-6

                                  http://www.buddhistcc.net/

                                  About the author

                                  The late venerable Balangoda Ananda Maitreya (1896-1998) was a prominent teacher and writer of Buddhism. Scholar monk Bhikkhu Bodhi was ordinated under the late venerable.

                                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balangoda_Ananda_Maitreya
                                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhikkhu_Bodhi
                                  http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/bodhi/bam.html
                                  http://www.infolanka.com/org/diary/179.html

                                  Series delivery

                                  Unlike the earlier series, I do not plan to make regular postings for this book. The first posting will probably be in 2010. Further, given that the book comes with an answer key, I am thinking if I still post individual solution.

                                  Another approach is that someone who is interested to lead this series, and I am totally opened to this. I welcome volunteers, recommendations and feedback. Thank you.