[Group Reading] Introduction to Pali 2 (Announcement)

    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1, 2009

      I am writing to inform you that we are definitely continuing with
      Warder's this year. At the moment, I would expect the starting date to
      be sometime after Vesak.

      This group reading is structured to be conducted over three phases. In
      2007, we have completed phase 1, which covered lessons 1 to 16. In
      this coming phase, we will work on the middle portion of the book. I
      will provide more details in March.

      This announcement provides some time for those who are interested to
      get prepared. Those who have not yet gone through the first 16
      lessons, may take the opportunity to do so before we commence the
      second phase.

      The book I am using is the PTS's 3rd edition published and printed in
      1991. I understand that the latest revised reprint was in 1995
      (paperback) and in 2001 (hardback). It can be purchased online from
      http://www.palitext.com/

    • grasje
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 3, 2009

        I am still a studens wrestling with the first lessons of the Paali
        primer. I study at home, I have no teacher around. the biggest beed
        for me would not be slideshows but more and more varied exercises.
        (audio-files would be great, though) I hope that once I have finished
        Da Silva's book I can start reading some texts, and that it is then
        possible to study the dhammapada (on the taiwanese site), or the
        anguttara nikaya (in the digital pali reader), and thus combine
        pali-study with real texts.

        For now, I can only work with the available course-material.
        The translation exercises require a lot of dicipline (I know it is a
        buddhist virtue). More exercises and variation in the exercises would
        make it a lot easyer for me to hammer the declensions and conjugations
        into my head. Exercises like: "read the story and answer the
        questions". "find all genitive cases in the story". "Put the next
        sentences into plural if the sentence is in singular, put them into
        singular if the sentence is in plural" "fill in the missing
        declensions in the next sentences", "give the full declensions in
        singular and plural of the next words" "give the full conjugation of
        these verbs", "write the next words in the correct alphabetical order".

        Of course I am willing to help in making exercises like this, and
        provide the answers, but someone who knows a bit more than I do should
        check the answers.

        with metta,
        Ria Glas
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 6, 2009
          Dear Ria and friends,

          thank you, and a great welcome to Ria and all new members.

          Ria, I am glad to learn of your interest in Pali. I am also a student
          myself. It is also a virtue in Buddhism that we continuously learn and
          improve ourselves. We can also apply these principles to our work and
          household lives.

          I hope you can remain active with the group. There are in fact many
          Dutch members here, the most prominent being Nina, who has been an
          excellent mentor to myself and many others.

          I thank you for the files you have uploaded. I will take a look at
          them again when I have some spare time this weekend. The exercise
          suggestions you made are great. You are always welcome to lead any
          discussion beneficial for the group. You are also welcome to
          participate in our AN translation exercise, which is resumed this
          year. There is also the postings Florent and I make, and the Saddaniti
          discussions by our more advance members.

          I am also glad that you are also computer literate. Many of the
          contents in the mailing list are worthy to be captured on the web, but
          organising these material is too much for me. I am investigating ways
          of doing this, but some little help will be great.

          I am proposing the slides because that is something I can work on
          without much assistance. The slides can incorporate voice and music to
          be multimedia, or the voice and music can be added to the slides to be
          video later. Is there anyone happy to lend his or her voice? ;-)

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 7, 2009
            Dear Yong Peng

            Thank you for your kind and encouraging words. I knew Nina is Dutch and
            a great scholar, she wrote a treatise on the abiddhamma in Dutch.
            I hope in the end I can learn Pali sufficiently good enough to be able
            to translate texts into Dutch. But I guess it will take me a few years,
            if ever, to learn the necessary skills. (But: The task that is never
            started takes the longest to complete!)

            I have started with making an exercise for all the declensions of nouns.
            I will upload it to the files. After studying Pali primer lesson 1-8 and
            the elementary course lesson 1-5 one should be able to make this
            exercise. I had to give the answers myself, and for me it worked to
            enhance my understanding of the declensions.

            I hope someone with more understanding of the language will have a look
            at it. I discovered that I have no spelling checker in pali on my
            computer. A few words are in italics, I doubt if they are correct.

            Kind regards,

            Ria

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 27, 2009

              as discussed early in January, I will be resuming our group project on
              the translation of Anguttara Nikaya. I hope that we can incorporate
              the STAMP approach, with which we go beyond mere linguistic
              translation and include contextual discussion, textual analysis,
              social and personal implications, and contemporary applications as we
              progress through the suttas.

              My current plan is to have only monthly postings, instead of
              weekly/fortnightly postings as before, and also to limit to only ten
              postings in the year. This is largely due to my availability, partly
              because I am also working on Saddaniiti (and other stuff on this list)
              as well.

              There is probably some "catch-up" for me to get back to full swing of
              the action. However, I will try not to disappoint with the upcoming
              posting. Previously, we have completed AN1, and stopped at Atapaniiya
              Sutta of AN2. Links to our previous discussions are available from
              this page: http://www.tipitaka.net/tipitaka/spectra/anguttara_nikaya

              Last but not least, I look forward to your participation and
              contribution to a better understanding of the Buddha's teachings.

              with metta,
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 1 2:02 AM

                a quick look at my personal records revealed that we were slightly
                ahead than previously thought. We had, in fact, completed up to
                Sa.myojana Sutta. The web record has been updated accordingly:
                http://www.tipitaka.net/tipitaka/spectra/duka_nipata

                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 1 2:11 AM
                  yes, that is in my files. I hope that Ven. Yutadhammo is still
                  around, he helped us.
                  Nina.
                  Op 1-mrt-2009, om 11:02 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 7 12:20 AM

                    I like to inform everyone that in addition to the typical mailing list postings, the group's site also allow members to sign in and upload Files, upload Photos (subject to moderator's approval), add Links, add Database entries, create Polls, add Calendar entries, and more recently entries to the Group Applications.

                    There are currently four, and these can change according to the requirements of our group. As usual, you need a Yahoo! ID to access these member-only extras.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 15, 2009

                      a new design for Tipitaka Network homepage has been developed. Previous suggestions from members, e.g. Nina and John, have been considered. Implementation of the new design will take some time, but it is not given a priority in my busy schedule now. However, I still plan to complete the new homepage by Vesak 2010. ;-)

                      Thank you.

                      Message 10 of 18 , May 1, 2009

                        Vesak day falls on the first full-moon day of May. Some countries and communities around the world may celebrate this occasion on a different day. For example, in East Asia, some would celebrate Vesak a week before the full-moon day. Vesak is a public holiday in some countries, but not in others.

                        Nevertheless, Vesak is a time we come together to commemorate the birth, enlightenment and parinibbana of the Buddha. Usually, at this time of the year, there will be all sorts of activities going on in Buddhist temples and centres. Many of these are traditional chanting and ceremonies to celebrate this auspicious event.

                        I like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a happy and safe Vesak. I will resume scheduled postings on May 13. However, I will still reply to all ongoing discussions.

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 4, 2009
                          Thank you and also the best wishes to you for Vesak.
                          I am always glad to be reminded of full moon, the Dutch newspapers do
                          not indicate this, no calender. I can only see the moon when it is
                          not overcast. Which day is it? Lodewijk and I wanted to do some Vesak
                          discussions, question and answer on that day. We like to commemorate
                          the occasion in a special way.
                          Nina.
                          Op 1-mei-2009, om 12:21 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

                          Message 12 of 18 , May 5, 2009
                            Dear Nina, Gunnar, Jacques and friends,

                            hotu te sukhii Vesak.

                            I am not exactly an astronomer, but I understand that on a full moon night, a person can view the entire moon no matter where he is on Earth. However, the "absolute" full moon will probably be only a momentary event to the sharp eyes, since the Earth and its moon are in constant motion.

                            Most of the websites I check mention May 9 for the next full moon. But, the "absolute" full moon can happen anytime throughout that day, depending on your location. In Amsterdam, the time would be 6.02am, however, it is summer in Netherlands now, and the sunrise will be at 5.57am. Hopefully, you can still catch a glimpse of the full moon.

                            It also happens that Mother's Day falls on the next day, May 10, Sunday. So, I take this opportunity to wish all mothers a happy Mother's Day too.

                            Message 13 of 18 , May 5, 2009
                              Thank you very much. I do not mind about the absolute time,
                              celebration with Dhamma discussions can be all day!
                              Nina.
                              Op 5-mei-2009, om 15:53 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

                              Message 14 of 18 , May 16, 2009

                                I write to inform you that seriesgplan.pdf (in the Files section, Yahoo! login required) has been updated. This file contains schedule and links to all postings under this series.

                                I have also posted a schedule of our postings, seriesgplan.pdf, under the Files section of the group's Yahoo! page (Yahoo! signin required). This schedule allows one to look up any of the previous postings by clicking on the relevant link. I highly recommend those who are working on the exercises to download this PDF document for reference. It also lists the estimate time new postings will appear on the list. The schedule reveals that we should complete the book in the first half of the year.
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 14, 2009

                                  the plan is to continue our online reading of Warder's after we have completed the postings of The New Pali Course Part II. Florent and myself are working our way through the exercises, and we are left with the remaining three. I have posted half of Exercise 24 earlier, and we are likely to complete all postings by August. This means we can resume Warder's in September.

                                  For those who are keen to participate in the discussion but need further information, here it is.

                                  Introduction to Pali, Third Edition
                                  by A.K. Warder
                                  Pali Text Society, 1991, revised reprint 1995

                                  More information, including sample text from the book:
                                  http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/synthesis/intro.00.cdv

                                  I will be making available more sample text in July.

                                  In our first reading in 2007, we completed lessons 1 to 16. In this coming second reading, we will work through lessons 17 to 23.

                                  Lesson 17 summarizes the discussion of nouns in the preceding lessons, before moving on to introduce new concepts. I think this is a good bridging point for many of us. Those who had moved ahead with the book, this is a good chance to join the discussions with your thoughts and questions. Those who are new to the book, please go through the first 16 lessons to be ready for "round 2". Those who stopped at lesson 16, this is the chance to get back to it and study together.

                                  At the moment, I am re-reading the earlier lessons, and I am currently at lesson 10. With this second reading, I hope to achieve the following:

                                  1. continue with the online group reading, probably the first of its kind for a Pali grammar;

                                  2. continue with the study guide for this book, which also stopped at lesson 16;

                                  3. re-commence Pali-Day-by-Day series C, which was completed up to lesson 21 by John (Kelly), hence I will be posting my solutions for lessons 22 and 23;

                                  4. compile a Pali grammatical terms/concepts index, which is similar to the one at the back of the book but also different.

                                  This index will be complementary to another list we already have: http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/pgt/

                                  I believe this index will be useful, especially with page numbers, for references to the book itself on grammatical concepts, and also in our study of classical grammars like the Saddaniti.

                                  Lessons 17 to 23 covers topics which we have already seen in other texts, however the exercises at the end of the lessons will be new to those who have not attempted them before, including myself. This is where the opportunity is for us to further our understanding and knowledge of Pali.

                                • ypong001
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 5, 2009

                                    now that we have completed The New Pali Course Part II, we shall move on with Warder's Introduction to Pali Lessons 17 to 23. As we are aware, John (Kelly) had previously posted solutions for up to Lesson 21 under Pali-Day-by-Day series C. John has agreed to join us in our group reading, and also help with the exercises in Lessons 22 and 23.

                                    Basically, I will be working through Lessons 17 through 21, and posting only discussion questions as I go along. Since John had already provided solutions for these exercises, I will not be repeating them again. However, I will be posting the solutions for Lessons 22 and 23, which will take place at the end of this group reading. Given the increased length of each exercise, compared to the first 16 lessons, I plan to take longer to conduct this group reading.

                                    Now that Jim is working through Saddaniti, I guess I can simply focus on Warder's for now, and other Intermediate level materials in the future.

                                    I look forward to your participation.

                                  • yongpeng.ong
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 18, 2009

                                      as the year 2009 approaches an end, I like to make a final group announcement. I am keen to "lock in" the book Pali Made Easy for our Pali Study Series.

                                      About the book

                                      Pali Made Easy by Ven. Balangoda Ananda Maitreya Mahanayaka Thera. The book contains 36 lessons, and is suitable for all levels. One advantage is the answer key to the exercises is found at the back of the book, making self-study easy. This book is available from the Buddhist Cultural Centre in Sri Lanka. ISBN: 955-9219-76-6

                                      http://www.buddhistcc.net/

                                      About the author

                                      The late venerable Balangoda Ananda Maitreya (1896-1998) was a prominent teacher and writer of Buddhism. Scholar monk Bhikkhu Bodhi was ordinated under the late venerable.

                                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balangoda_Ananda_Maitreya
                                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhikkhu_Bodhi
                                      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/bodhi/bam.html
                                      http://www.infolanka.com/org/diary/179.html

                                      Series delivery

                                      Unlike the earlier series, I do not plan to make regular postings for this book. The first posting will probably be in 2010. Further, given that the book comes with an answer key, I am thinking if I still post individual solution.

                                      Another approach is that someone who is interested to lead this series, and I am totally opened to this. I welcome volunteers, recommendations and feedback. Thank you.