"vinaasamentu"?

  • ardavarz
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2009
      Hi, everybody!

      Could someone help me to interpret the word "vinaasamentu"? I think it
      should be a 3th person plural imperative of vinaaseti ("destroys"),
      but the suffix puzzles me. Maybe this is middle voice?

      With metta,
      Ardavarz
    • james.whelan5@btinternet.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2009
        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "ardavarz" <ardavarz@...> wrote:

        > Hi, everybody!
        >
        > Could someone help me to interpret the word "vinaasamentu"? I think it
        > should be a 3th person plural imperative of vinaaseti ("destroys"),
        > but the suffix puzzles me. Maybe this is middle voice?
        >
        > With metta,
        > Ardavarz

        Hello Ardavarz.

        eti = he goes
        vinaasam eti = he goes to destruction, i.e. he is destroyed
        vinaasam entu = let them go to destruction

        Metta
        James Whelan
      • Магубад Бурджан
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2009