learning the vocabularies of Pali primer, Elementay course and Warder

  • grasje
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 14, 2009
      Dear Pali-learners,

      In the files of this group I added a spreadsheet for practising the
      words form the vocanularies, with all the diacritical marks.
      You can select the words you want to practise on (e.g. the verbs from
      chapter 4-8), and randomise the order in which the english words
      appear on your screen.
      You type the Pali-word, and you see immediately whether it is correct
      or not.
      It is possible to mix parts of the vocabularies form the different
      courses to practise them together.
      In an extra sheet I give a suggested order for the chapters of Pali
      primer and Narada Thera's Elementary course.

      Kind regards,
      Ria Glas
      The Netherlands
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 18, 2009
        Dear Ria,

        thank you. That's very generous of you. I downloaded the file, and it
        is brilliant and impressive. I really can't say more about Dutch
        creativity, can I? ;-)

        However, I realise the font is not showing up properly, are you using
        a non-Unicode font? Or is it because I am using OpenOffice?

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 18, 2009

          I use VriRomanPali DD, exept on the page for Warder, there I had to
          use Times Ext Roman. I copied the word lists from the internet, so I
          had to work with what I had. VriRomanPali DD is available on many Pali
          sites, so I guess that most people have it already in their available
          fonts.

          Last week I discovered another internet Pali course (the new pali
          course from 1937). I added this one as well, and I will replace the
          existing file withe the complete file.
          If I can do anything to make the fonts better useable please let me
          know. I am quite good with Word and Excel, but not so good with
          internet-troubles.

          With kind regards,

          Ria Glas

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 19, 2009

            I tried the sheet today with Open Office, and it worked fine.

            The dots under the t were less visible as with exel, but that could be
            mended bij enlarging the fontsize to 11 points or zooming in on the
            screen by 150 %.
            I hope this can solve any font problems.

            With kind regards,

            Ria Glas

            --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Ong Yong Peng" <palismith@...> wrote:

            > Dear Ria,
            >
            > thank you. That's very generous of you. I downloaded the file, and it
            > is brilliant and impressive. I really can't say more about Dutch
            > creativity, can I? ;-)
            >
            > However, I realise the font is not showing up properly, are you using
            > a non-Unicode font? Or is it because I am using OpenOffice?
            >
            > metta,
            > Yong Peng.
            >

            > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, grasje wrote:
            >
            > In the files of this group I added a spreadsheet for practising the
            > words form the vocanularies, with all the diacritical marks. You can
            > select the words you want to practise on (e.g. the verbs from chapter
            > 4-8), and randomise the order in which the english words appear on
            > your screen. You type the Pali-word, and you see immediately whether
            > it is correct or not. It is possible to mix parts of the vocabularies
            > form the different courses to practise them together. In an extra
            > sheet I give a suggested order for the chapters of Pali primer and
            > Narada Thera's Elementary course.

          • John Kelly
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 19, 2009
              Dear Ria,

              You have created an exceptional tool! Well done. Such a simple and
              clever idea - very well executed.

              I have created for the group a slightly amended version that has
              changed all the Pali words to Velthuis coding, since in your original
              you have Velthuis for some books, VRIRomanPali for another, and
              unicode for another. I think it's easier to use if consistent. Also,
              it will be universally readable for anyone, no matter what fonts they
              have.

              This velthuis file has just been uploaded with the following name:
              pali english dictionary for learning words (vel).xls

              All the best,
              John

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 21, 2009
                Dear John,

                Great to hear thet someone managed to fix the font-problem.

                I made another small change to the file with unicode. I exchanged the
                colums "difficult" and "check". It makes it quicker to mark a word as
                difficult if you gave the wrong answer.

                Kind regards,

                Ria Glas

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 18, 2009
                  Dear Ria and John,

                  thanks, Ria. It seems like you have adopted John's suggestion, and
                  now the pali words are all in velthuis. This is good, as it is still
                  easier to type in velthuis than in, say, unicode. However, now, there
                  seems to be 2 similar files in the system. ;-)

                  This is a really admirable project, especially for those who want to
                  build up pali vocabulary fast. If you can do something similar in
                  javascript, I can host it on tipitaka.net. ;-) Also, how about the
                  same for conjugation and declension?

                  I also notice that you have included Warder's. We are looking at
                  continuing the group study later this year. We finished the first
                  third of the book in the previous run, and will work on the middle
                  section this time. I hope you can join us then.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 18, 2009

                    Yes, I have adopted John's suggestion for Velthuis. Velthuis looks
                    ugly but forces you to pay attention to the dots, lines and ~ symbols.

                    I have no idea how to make something in javascript.

                    But: If you look in the files under the directory jmemorise files, you
                    will see 5 files: 4 vocabularies and one file for memorising the
                    declension of masculine nouns in a. For the program itself see
                    (http://jmemorize.org/). Today I have been working on a wordlist for
                    conjugating verbs. (I am studying chapter 9 of the pali primer, about
                    the -tva, and -tu.m, so I need to practice this part of the grammar.
                    Amazing how much you pick up by making wordlists, even if you did not
                    really practice yet). When I meet them in the lessons to come, there
                    will undoubtably follow jmemorise files for other nouns ending in
                    whatever letter they end.

                    I ask you to WAIT A FEW (3) WEEKS, then you may host the sheet and the
                    jmemorise files on tipitaka.net. I just found out that Warder
                    recommends learning masculen nouns nouns ending a as if they ended in
                    o (janako, maatulo), so you will easily remember the gender and the
                    way the word declines. Neuter a-nouns should be learned ending in .m;
                    (khetta.m). Etc. It is a very sound advice.
                    I plan to rework the vocabularies (spreadsheet and Jmemorise files;
                    dont't worry, I can let the spreadheet do this for me, I am not going
                    to type it out) so the words end in the recommended letter. When I'm
                    finished you can host the lists on tipitaka.net.

                    I personally think the Jmemorise files are very handy, but I myself
                    still need the spreasdheet to learn to type the words correctly.
                    Jmemorise asks only to choose if you remembered a word correctly or
                    not. Especially as a beginner it takes dedicated effort to make a
                    difference between m and .m. For me, typing is essential and now I use
                    both jmemorise and the spreadsheet. Spreadsheets can't be hosted, can
                    they?

                    My plans for the near future are:
                    - Reworking the list for word-ending of nouns
                    - making declension-of-verb-list (as I meet them during the study)
                    - making listst for declensions of other nouns (as I meet them during
                    the study)
                    - In the last tab of the spreadsheet I have already added a list of
                    the chapters of the pali primer and the elementary course (this is one
                    of the differences between the seemingly similar files), in a logical
                    order for learning. I still want to add references to that list to
                    Duroiselles grammar, so students can read a bit explanation about the
                    grammar rules they learn in the courses. ( but when I go through the
                    study, my ideas about what is logical will change, I guess.)
                    - go through the old postings and select the "beginners" questions,
                    like the recent discussion on word order. Put them together in a
                    word-file. A kind of question and answer-file.

                    In this way I hope to gather the essential material for pali students
                    who, like me, study at home by themselves. Rearranging existing
                    material in a logical order for learning the language. I need it
                    myself in order to make progress, and I am very happy to be able to
                    share it with others.

                    If you need lists reworked for Warder or the new pali course, I might
                    be of some help. Right now I have skimmed through lesson 1-5 of Warder
                    and decided to stay with the Pali primer and the elementary course. (I
                    found the Warder vocabulary somewhere on the net, and I processed it
                    to fit in the sheet and jmemorise files. whish I could find the
                    vocabulary files of "a new course in reading pali". Or is that
                    forbidden because of copyright troubles?. I don't think I can soon be
                    of help in the translation exercises.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 19, 2009
                      Dear Ria,

                      thank you. I have no intention to host the files posted by members to
                      the group on tipitaka.net. First, it is easier that members manage it
                      themselves in the Files section. Second, even though members openly
                      share their files, but there is no indication that the files (or their
                      contents) are copyright free. I hope for your understanding on this,
                      and there are open-source projects on tipitaka.net (or linked from
                      tipitaka.net) which members can contribute.

                      I can understand how much time and effort you have to put in, as I
                      have also compiled the study guides for the books I have covered. I
                      may have a project which you can contribute. ;-) But, I am not
                      currently working on it, and it's better to leave it till both of us
                      have some spare time.

                      The book by Gair and Karunatillake has a vocab list for each chapter.
                      I am not sure if anyone has electronic version of these word lists.
                      These lists are copyrighted, as part of the book. Whether there is
                      infringement would really depends on many factors. My advice is
                      compile the list only when you are studying the book. In some ways, it
                      becomes your own work.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 19, 2009
                        Dear Ria,

                        Years ago, I created an input easy file for all the vocabulary words
                        from Gair/Karunatillake's "New Course in REading Pali". I can extract
                        the chapters out to text files, combine into one file, convert to
                        velthuis, and put them into a spreadsheet for you.

                        With metta,

                      • grasje
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 20, 2009
                          Dear John,

                          Just after I posted my message I remembered that there might be a file
                          for input easy (thid you really write it yourself!Wow!)
                          I could not get the previews working on my computer, that is why I did
                          not download the program. Yesterday I decided to try and download
                          anyway, and input easy does work. I have already extracted the
                          vocabulary to a spreadsheet. Thank you very much for your kind offer.

                          Metta,

                          Ria

                        • Dipa .
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 20, 2009
                            Hi Ria,
                            When I try to practice with the spreadsheet which I open with
                            Open Office on my computer the OO has an autocomplete
                            feature which ruins my practice as it is giving me the answer
                            while I am trying to type my own answer. You mentioned
                            using Open Office and so I wondered if you might know how
                            to turn the automatic complete off.

                            thanks,
                            Dipa
                            Home: 417-864-4559
                            Buddhist Group web site: http://www.geocities.com/sisterdipa/index.html
                            Audio Talks http://groups.google.com/group/discourses-of-the-buddha
                            http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sutta.html
                            Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things are
                            not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed,
                            these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in them. AN
                            3.65

                          • grasje
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 21, 2009
                              Hi Dipa,

                              In the menu choose Extra, cellcontents, then unclick the autocomplete
                              option.
                              Kind regards,

                              Ria