Re: [Pali] Prosody: Pali Metre (Meter) 2

  • George Bedell
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 7, 2009
      Yong Peng,

      Maybe you have filled the gap by now, but I have a pdf copy of Duroiselle which has sections 635 to 640 (pages 341-342). I don't remember where I downloaded it from, but if you are still looking I can send a copy.

      George B

      * * * * *
      George Bedell
      230/5 Suan Lanna Village, Huay Kaew Road,
      t. Chang Phuak, a. Muang
      Chiang Mai 50300, Thailand
      +66-53-414100

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 9, 2009
        Dear George,

        thanks, I have indeed already located the missing portions. I will
        post them to the group as soon as I get to transcribe the text in PDF.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 10, 2009

          this is a discussion based upon Chapter 15 of Charles Duroiselle's
          Grammar. From some materials I recently acquired, I learnt that this
          chapter is primarily based on the classical text Vuttodaya. I further
          learnt that Vuttodaya may not be a representative account of canonical
          prosody.

          633. These are again subdivided according to the kind of feet employed
          in each stanza; as the four paadas are similar, the scheme of only one
          paada is given for each kind of metre:

          1. gaayatti, having paadas of six syllables. There is one variety.
          (i) tanumajjhaa, ¯ ¯ ˘ | ˘ ¯ ¯

          2. u.nhi, having paadas of seven syllables. There is one variety.
          (i) kumaaralatitaa, ˘ ¯ ˘ | ˘ ˘ ¯ | ¯

          3. anu.t.thubha.m, having paadas of eight syllables. There are five
          varieties.
          (i) citrapadaa, ¯ ˘ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ˘ | ¯ ¯
          (ii) vijjummala, ¯ ¯ ¯ | ¯ ¯ ¯ | ¯ ¯
          (iii) maa.navaka.m, ¯ ˘ ˘ | ¯ ¯ ˘ | ˘ ¯
          (iv) saama.nika, ¯ ˘ ¯ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ˘
          (v) paama.nikaa, ˘ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ¯ | ¯ ¯

          4. brahati, having paadas of nine syllables. There are two varieties.
          (i) halamukhii, ¯ ˘ ¯ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ˘ ¯
          (ii) bhujagasusu, ˘ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ¯ ¯ ¯

          5. panti, having paadas of ten syllables. There are seven varieties.
          (i) suddhaviraajitam, ¯ ¯ ¯ | ˘ ˘ ¯ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ¯
          (ii) panavo, ¯ ¯ ¯ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ¯ ¯ | ¯
          (iii) rummavati, ¯ ˘ ˘ | ¯ ¯ ¯ | ˘ ˘ ¯ | ¯
          (iv) matta, ¯ ¯ ¯ | ¯ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ˘ ¯ | ¯
          (v) campakamala, ¯ ˘ ˘ | ¯ ¯ ¯ | ˘ ˘ ¯ | ¯
          (vi) manorama, ˘ ˘ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ¯ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ¯
          (vii) ubbhasakam, ¯ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ¯ ¯ | ¯ ˘ ¯ | ¯

          6. tu.t.thubha.m, having paadas of eleven syllables. There are eleven
          varieties.
          (i) upa.t.thitaa, ¯ ¯ ˘ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ¯
          (ii) indavajiraa, ¯ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ¯ ˘ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ¯
          (iii) upavajiraa, ˘ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ¯ ˘ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ¯
          Remark. When the quarter-verses of indavajiraa and upavajiraa are
          mixed together in a stanza in any order, the stanza is them called
          upajaati.
          (iv) sumukkhii, ˘ ˘ ¯ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ˘ ¯
          (v) dodhaka.m, ¯ ˘ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ˘ | ¯ ¯
          (vi) saalinii, ¯ ¯ ¯ | ¯ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ¯
          (vii) vaatummissaa, ¯ ¯ ¯ | ¯ ˘ ˘ | ¯ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ¯
          Remark. There are pauses after the fourth and seventh syllables.
          (viii) surasasirii, ¯ ˘ ˘ | ¯ ¯ ˘ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ¯ ¯
          (ix) rathoddhataa, ¯ ˘ ¯ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ¯ | ˘ ¯
          (x) svaagata, ¯ ˘ ¯ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ˘ | ¯ ¯
          (xi) bhaddikaa, ˘ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ¯ | ˘ ¯

          7. jagati, having paadas of twelve syllables. There are fourteen
          varieties.
          (i) vasama.t.tha, ˘ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ¯ ˘ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ¯
          (ii) indava.msaa, ¯ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ¯ ˘ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ¯
          (iii) to.taka, ˘ ˘ ¯ | ˘ ˘ ¯ | ˘ ˘ ¯ | ˘ ˘ ¯
          (iv) dutavila.mbita, ˘ ˘ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ¯
          (v) pu.ta, ˘ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ¯ ¯ ¯ | ˘ ¯ ¯
          Remark. There are pauses after the fourth and twelfth syllables.
          (vi) kusumavicittaa, ˘ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ¯ ¯ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ¯ ¯
          (vii) bhuja`ngappayaata, ˘ ¯ ¯ | ˘ ¯ ¯ | ˘ ¯ ¯ | ˘ ¯ ¯
          (viii) piyamvada, ˘ ˘ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ¯
          (ix) lalitaa, ¯ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ¯
          (x) pamitakkaraa, ˘ ˘ ¯ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ˘ ˘ ¯ | ˘ ˘ ¯
          (xi) ujjalaa, ˘ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ¯
          (xii) vessadevii, ¯ ¯ ¯ | ¯ ¯ ¯ | ˘ ¯ ¯ | ˘ ¯ ¯
          Remark. There are pauses after the fifth and twelfth syllables.
          (xiii) taamarasa.m, ˘ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ˘ ¯ ¯
          (xiv) kamalaa, ˘ ˘ ¯ | ˘ ¯ ¯ | ˘ ˘ ¯ | ˘ ¯ ¯

          8. atijagati, having paadas of thirteen syllables. There are two
          varieties.
          (i) pahaasinii, ¯ ¯ ¯ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ¯ | ¯
          Remark. There are pauses after the third and thirteenth syllables.
          (ii) ruciraa, ˘ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ˘ ¯ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ¯
          Remark. There are pauses after the fourth and thirteenth syllables.

          9. sakkarii, having paadas of fourteen syllables. There are three
          varieties.
          (i) aparaajitaa, ˘ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ¯ | ˘ ˘ ¯ | ˘ ¯
          Remark. There are pauses after the seventh and fourteenth syllables.
          (ii) pahara.nakalikaa, ˘ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ¯
          Remark. There are pauses after the seventh and fourteenth syllables.
          (iii) vasantatilakaa, ¯ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ¯

          10. atisakkarii, fifteen syllables. There are four varieties.
          (i) sasikala, ˘ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ˘ ¯
          (ii) ma.nigunaanikaro, ˘ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ˘ ¯
          Remark. There are pauses after the eighth and fifteenth syllables.
          (iii) malinii, ˘ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ¯ ¯ ¯ | ˘ ¯ ¯ | ˘ ¯ ¯
          Remark. There is a pause after the eighth syllable.
          (iv) pabhaddaka.m, ˘ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ¯

          11. a.t.thi, having paadas of sixteen syllables. There is one variety.
          (i) vaaninii, ˘ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ¯ | ¯

          12. atya.t.thi, having paadas of seventeen syllables. There are three
          varieties.
          (i) sikharinii, ˘ ¯ ¯ | ¯ ¯ ¯ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ˘ ¯ | ¯ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ¯
          Remark. There are pauses after the sixth and seventeenth syllables.
          (ii) harinii, ˘ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ˘ ¯ | ¯ ¯ ¯ | ¯ ˘ ¯ | ˘ ˘ ¯ | ˘ ¯
          (iii) mandakkantaa, ¯ ¯ ¯ | ¯ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ¯ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ¯
          Remark. There are pauses after the fourth, tenth and seventeenth
          syllables.

          13. dhuti, having paadas of eighteen syllables. There is one variety.
          (i) kusumitalataavellitaa, ¯ ¯ ¯ | ¯ ¯ ˘ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ¯ ¯ | ˘ ¯ ¯ | ˘ ¯ ¯

          14. atidhuti, having paadas of nineteen syllables. There are two
          varieties.
          (i) meghavipphujjitaa, ¯ ¯ ¯ | ¯ ¯ ¯ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ˘ ¯ | ¯ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ¯ ˘ | ¯
          Remark. There are pauses after the sixth and thirteenth, and
          nineteenth syllables.
          (ii) sadduulavikkiiitii, ¯ ¯ ¯ | ˘ ˘ ¯ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ˘ ˘ ¯ | ¯ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ¯ ˘ | ¯
          Remark. There are pauses after the twelfth and nineteenth syllables.

          15. kati, having paadas of twenty syllables. There is one variety.
          (i) vutta, ¯ ˘ ¯ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ¯ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ¯ | ¯ ¯ ˘ | ¯ ˘

          16. pakati, having paadas of twenty-one syllables. There is one variety.
          (i) saddharaa, ¯ ¯ ¯ | ¯ ˘ ¯ | ¯ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ˘ ¯ ¯ | ¯ ¯ ¯ | ˘ ¯ ¯

          17. akati, having paadas of twenty-two syllables. There is one variety.
          (i) bhaddaka, ¯ ˘ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ¯ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ¯ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ¯ ˘ ¯ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ¯

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 17, 2009

            as you may already know, this discussion is based on Chapter 15 of A
            Practical Grammar of the Paali Language by Charles Duroiselle.

            634. In the addhasama class of metres, the first and the third, and
            the second and fourth paadas are similar. The following table shows
            eleven kinds of metres that come under this head:

            Name of Metre Odd quarter - verses 1st.-3rd. Even quarter -
            verses 2nd.-4th.
            upacitta ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ¯ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ˘ ¯ ¯
            ratamajjhaa ¯ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ˘ ¯ ¯ ˘ ˘ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ˘ ¯ ¯
            vegavati ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ˘ ¯ ¯ ¯ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ˘ ¯ ¯
            bhaddaviraaja.m ¯ ¯ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ¯ ¯ ¯ ¯ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ¯
            ketumati ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ¯ ¯ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ˘ ˘ ¯ ¯
            akhyaanikaa ¯ ¯ ˘ ¯ ¯ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ¯ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ¯
            viparitapubba ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ¯ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ¯ ¯ ¯ ˘ ¯ ¯ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ¯
            hari.napaluta ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯
            aparavutta ˘ ˘ ˘ ˘ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ˘ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯
            pubbittaggaa ˘ ˘ ˘ ˘ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ¯ ˘ ˘ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ¯
            yavaadikaamatii ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 26, 2009

              this discussion is based on Chapter 15 of A Practical Grammar of the
              Paali Language by Charles Duroiselle. A new symbol ( ̶̆ )is introduced
              in this post, hopefully everyone can properly view it. If not, please
              consult the html version:
              http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/synthesis/grammar.15.cdv

              635. The paadas in this division of verses are all dissimilar. Under
              this head comes the metre known as Vatta, the heroic measure of Pali
              literature, eight syllables being employed in each paada, the first
              and last syllables therein being free, and this, a short or long
              syllable may be optionally used in those syllables. The syllables
              between the first and last, form two seats, having three syllables in
              each seat of foot. In the first seat in all the quarters, any foot may
              be employed except a Tribrach and an Anapaest, that is to say, three
              short syllables ( ˘ ˘ ˘ ) or two short and one long ( ˘ ˘ ¯ ) must not
              be used. In the second seat of the first and third quarters, any foot
              may be used, but in the second seat of the second and fourth quarters
              only ya (Bacchic) or ja (Amphibrach) (i.e., ˘ ¯ ¯ or ˘ ¯ ˘ ) must be
              employed. It should be noted, however, that the Vatta proper has ja in
              the second seat of both the second and the fourth paadas.

              636. (i) Vatta Proper

              Free 1st seat 2nd seat Free
              1st paada ̶̆ ̶̆ ̶̆ ̶̆ ̶̆ ̶̆ ̶̆ ̶̆
              2nd paada ̶̆ ̶̆ ̶̆ ̶̆ ˘ ¯ ¯ ̶̆
              3rd paada ̶̆ ̶̆ ̶̆ ̶̆ ̶̆ ̶̆ ̶̆ ̶̆
              4th paada ̶̆ ̶̆ ̶̆ ̶̆ ˘ ¯ ¯ ̶̆

              <YP> The sign ̶̆ means that the syllable may be optionally short or long.

              637. Sometimes the Gaathaa contains six paadas - the fifth following
              the rule for the first and third; the sixth that for the second and
              fourth.

              638. Besides the Vatta Proper above shown, there are six kinds of
              Vatta metres:

              (ii) Vipariitapathyaavatta

              Paadas 1 & 3: ̶̆ | ̶̆ ˘ ̶̆ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ̶̆
              Paadas 2 & 4: ̶̆ | ̶̆ ˘ ̶̆ | ˘ ¯ ¯ | ̶̆

              (iii) Capalaavatta

              Paadas 1 & 3: ̶̆ | ̶̆ ̶̆ ̶̆ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ̶̆
              Paadas 2 & 4: ̶̆ | ̶̆ ˘ ̶̆ | ˘ ¯ ¯ | ̶̆

              (iv) Na-Vipulaa

              Paadas 1 & 3: ̶̆ | ̶̆ ̶̆ ̶̆ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ̶̆
              Paadas 2 & 4: ̶̆ | ̶̆ ˘ ̶̆ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ̶̆
              or
              All paadas: ̶̆ | ̶̆ ̶̆ ̶̆ | ˘ ˘ ˘ | ̶̆

              (v) Vipulaa of Setava

              (vi) Vipulaa of Pi`ngala

              (vii) Bha-Vipulaa

              Paadas 1 & 3: ̶̆ | ̶̆ ̶̆ ̶̆ | ¯ ˘ ˘ | ̶̆
              Paadas 2 & 4: ̶̆ | ̶̆ ˘ ̶̆ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ̶̆
              or
              All paadas: ̶̆ | ̶̆ ̶̆ ̶̆ | ¯ ˘ ˘ | ̶̆

              (viii) Ra-Vipulaa

              Paadas 1 & 3: ̶̆ | ̶̆ ̶̆ ̶̆ | ¯ ˘ ¯ | ̶̆
              Paadas 2 & 4: ̶̆ | ̶̆ ˘ ̶̆ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ̶̆
              or
              All paadas: ̶̆ | ̶̆ ̶̆ ̶̆ | ¯ ˘ ¯ | ̶̆

              (ix) Ta-Vipulaa

              Paadas 1 & 3: ̶̆ | ̶̆ ̶̆ ̶̆ | ¯ ¯ ˘ | ̶̆
              Paadas 2 & 4: ̶̆ | ̶̆ ˘ ̶̆ | ˘ ¯ ˘ | ̶̆
              or
              All paadas: ̶̆ | ̶̆ ̶̆ ̶̆ | ¯ ¯ ˘ | ̶̆

              640. Besides the metres noted above, there are some that are regulated
              by time (kaala). Such metres are termed Jaati. They are of three kinds:-

              1. Ariyaa
              2. Vetaaliya, and
              3. Mattaasamaka

              641. In the first of these, the ariyaa, the first two paadas of half a
              gaathaa contain seven and a half feet; in the even, that is, in the
              second, fourth, and sixth feet, any of the following, namely, bha, ja,
              sa, gaa, or four short syllables may be employed, but ja must not be
              used in the odd feet, that is, in the first, third, and fifth. The
              sixth foot may be la or four short syllables. The second-half stanza
              must fulfil the same conditions. It is necessary to observe that in
              the jaati metre a foot consists of four syllabic instants, the time
              taken up in pronouncing a short syllable being taken as an instant of
              time; thus a long syllable being taken equal to two short ones, each
              foot used in the ariyaa is equal to four syllabic instants. The
              following is an illustration of an ariyaa stanza:

              1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th foot
              First half stanza ¯ ¯, ˘˘˘˘, ¯ ¯, ˘˘¯, ¯ ¯, ˘¯˘, ¯˘˘, ¯
              Second half stanza ˘˘¯, ˘˘˘, ¯ ¯, ¯ ¯, ¯ ¯, ˘, ¯ ¯, ¯

              642. The vetaaliya is so formed that it usually consists of fourteen
              syllabic instants in the odd quarters and sixteen in the even, while
              the mattaasamaka consists of sixteen syllabic instants in each
              quarter. The metres of the jaati class furnish many varieties, but it
              is not within the scope of this work to treat of them in detail. As,
              however, the vetaaliya is of rather frequent occurrence, we give below
              the scheme of it. Each paada is divided into three seats; the first
              seat in the first and third paadas must have six syllabic instants;
              the first seat of the second and fourth paadas must contain eight
              syllabic instants; the second seat must be a cretic foot and the third
              a lambic foot:

              Number of 1st seat 2nd seat 3rd seat
              syllabic Cretic Lambus
              instants
              1st paada 6 six syllabic instants ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯
              2nd paada 8 eight syllabic instants ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯
              3rd paada 6 six syllabic instants ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯
              4th paada 8 eight syllabic instants ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯

              This is the final post.