Pali Study Series H: Saddaniiti (Saddaniti) - Title

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2009
      Dear Mahinda and friends,

      I quote from an earlier message -
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pali/message/13075 - ... I will proclaim
      the Saddaniiti or the Science of Words ...

      I wonder if the venerable author Aggavamsa mentioned the reasons for
      the choice of the title.

      I gather from the PED:

      sadda (m) word.
      niiti (f) guidance, conduct, practice.

      Hence, literally, saddaniiti means the study, rules, logic/science/art
      of words.

    • Mahinda Palihawadana
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2009

        You are right. The Sanskrit equivalent of sadda, i.e.,'sabda, is
        widely used in grammatical and philogical treatises in the sense of
        word as form, in contrast to artha (meaning). The great grammatical
        treatise of Patanjali, the Mahaabhaa"sya, calls itself a
        'sabdaanu'saasana ("instruction on 'sabda"). The Pali grammatical
        terminology borrows heavily from its Sanskrit counterpart.

        Mahinda

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 9, 2009
          Dear Mahinda and friends,

          thank you. I have created a webpage for our Saddaniti study. You will
          get the first glimpse here:
          http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/synthesis/saddaniti.00.cdv

          I will proceed to update the page this weekend, and continue as we
          progress with our study.