Re: [Pali] Re: Pali Study Series H: Saddaniiti (Saddaniti) - Padamaalaa Pre-Start

  • Jim Anderson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2009
      Dear George,

      > I would welcome any information Jim can provide about the
      > contents of the 14 paricchedas.

      Here's a list of the 14 paricchedas in the Padamaalaa (based on H. Smith's
      edn.):

      I. Padamaalaa. (pp. 1-314)

      1. Savikara.naakhyaatavibhaaga 1 [page number]
      2. Bhavatikiriyaapadamaalaavibhaaga 13
      3. Paki.n.nakavinicchaya 30
      4. Bhuudhaatumayanaamikaruupavibhaaga 59
      5. Okaarantapulli"nganaamikapadamaalaa 87
      6. AAkaarantapulli"nganaamikapadamaalaa 137
      7. Niggahiitantaadipulli"nganaamikapadamaalaa 167
      8. Itthili"nganaamikapadamaalaa 197
      9. Napu.msakali"n"nganaamikapadamaalaa 226
      10. Li"ngattayamissakanaamikapadamaalaa 235
      11. Vaaccaabhidheyyali"ngaadiparidiipananaamikapadamaalaa 246
      12. Sabbanaama-ta.msadisanaama-naamikapadamaalaa 266
      13. Savinicchayasa"nkhyaanaamanaamikapadamaalaa 296
      14. Atthattikavibhaaga 308

      The following is from rough notes I made a long time ago of the contents of
      each of the 14 paricchedas. I include here the ones for the first 5
      paricchedas which is all I have typed on the computer so far. The original
      notes and the first two volumes of my copy of Smith's edition are in a
      frozen state at the cottage.

      I. Padamaalaa. (pp. 1-314)

      1. Savikara.naakhyaatavibhaago naama pa.thamo paricchedo. 1-13

      ganthaarambhakathaa (15 gaathaa-s) 1
      dhaatu 2,5
      vikara.napaccaya-s 2,23
      1. bhuu sattaaya.m 3,26... 314,6
      sakammikaakammika dhaatu-s 3,26
      suddhakattukiriyaapada (simple agent): uddesa 3,32; niddesa 4,19
      hetukattukiriyaapada (causative): uddesa 5,18; niddesa 5,24
      kammakiriyaapada (passive): uddesa 6,19; niddesa 6,25 (incl.
      kammakattukiriyaapada)
      bhaavassa kiriyaapada (impersonal): uddesa 7,24; niddesa 7,26
      tikaaraka 10,7
      bhavatissa dhaatussa vinicchayo 11,25

      2. Bhavatikiriyaapadamaalaavibhaaga 13

      gaathaa
      vibhatti 13,29
      vibhatti avibhattikaniddeso 15,6
      parassapadaani attanopadaani 16,5
      ekavacana bahuvacana 16,24
      kaalakaarakapurisaparidiipanataa 20,32
      kiriyaalakkha.na.m 24,30
      kaalesu vibhattippavatti 25,11
      kiriyaapadamaalaa 25,24

      3. Paki.n.nakavinicchaya 30

      navadhaa vinicchayo:

      samaanasutikapadaanam atthuddhaara.na.m 31,6
      atthasaddacintaa 34,26
      atthaatisayayogo 45,1
      samaanaasamaanavasena vacanasa"ngaho 45,8
      aagamalakkha.navasena vibhattivacanasa"ngaho 48,24
      kaalavasena vibhattivacanasa"ngaho 49,23
      kaalasa"ngaho 50,10
      pakara.nasa.msandanaa 55,30
      vattamaanaadiina.m vacanatthavibhaavanaa 58,16

      4. Bhuudhaatumayanaamikaruupavibhaaga [59,26-87,22: 29pp]

      gaathaa (15 verses): vibhattis 59,27 naama li"nga
      niruttilakkha.na.m 60,26
      pulli"ngaadivasena li"ngattaya.m bhuudhaatumayam uddi.t.tha.m 61,10-63,33
      purisali"ngavasena udaahara.nuddeso 61,10
      itthili"ngavasena udaahara.nuddeso 62,23
      nampu.msakali"ngavasena udaahara.nuddeso 63,10
      bheda verses 63,34
      li"ngattaye niddeso 64,9-87,13
      pulli"nganiddeso 64,9
      nibbacanaabhidheyyakathanatthasaadhakavacana-
      pariyaayavacanatthuddhaara 64,9
      itthili"nganiddeso 81,9
      napu.msali"nganiddeso 84,29
      2 verses 87,14

      5. Okaarantapulli"nganaamikapadamaalaa 87

      5.1 purisanaya 87,30; bho 89,20
      bahuvacana.m puthuvacana.m anekavacana.m 92.7
      there is no dvivacana.m (dual) in the saasana 92,10
      bhuuto 93,33
      buddho, etc. 94,11 orodho maatugaamo 95,1; vinicchayo 98,16
      5.2 manoga.na (so.lasa) 99,17
      mano 100,5; saro 103,29; vayo 104,9; ceto 104,15;
      (incomplete)

      Best wishes,
      Jim
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2009
        Dear George, Jim and all,

        thanks for your replies. For an open study group like us, we have a
        good degree of flexibility. Members can participate in the discussions
        in the way which best fit their schedules. I am glad that George will
        continue with pariccheda 2, at his own pace. In the meantime, I shall
        go on with setting up the project page on tipitaka.net, and shall
        notify you when it is ready.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, gdbedell wrote:

        I don't have strong feelings about the best way to organize our
        efforts, other than that we should avoid wasting energy by two or more
        of us doing the same thing. For my part, I am willing to continue
        what I started with pariccheda 2. I would be hesitant to commit to
        any schedule, because how fast I can go depends on unpredictable
        factors such as the difficulty of the text, how much time I have, and
        so on.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2009
          Dear Jim and friends,

          thanks for providing the detailed contents of the text for the first
          two sections. I have a look at the CS-edition on tipitaka.org, and
          there is just the main headings of the 14 sections. I am sure the
          page/line number you have included would be handy for cross-references
          to Smith's edition.