Re: [Pali] Re: Saddaniiti

  • Jim Anderson
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 1, 2009
      George wrote:
      > Ito para.m pavakkhaami, sotuuna.m mati-va.d.dhana.m

      > kriyaa-pada-kkama.m naama, vibhatt'-aadiini diipaya.m.

      The particle 'naama' here in the sense of 'by name' or 'called' is puzzling
      to me. I have in mind (perhaps in error) that the masc. acc. -kkama.m would
      need to be in the masc. nom. case, i.e., -kkamo if it is to be followed by
      'naama' in this sense. I propose that 'naama' belongs instead with
      'vibhatt'-aadiini' in the same compound, i.e., 'naama-vibhatt'-aadiini'.

      > The translation of these verses which I offered was:
      >
      > I will explain, for the growth of my audience's wisdom,

      > the terminology of verbs, starting with endings.

      [...]

      > I now recount, to enhance the understanding of students,
      > the terminology of verbs, explaining the endings, etc.

      I'm still undecided on whether 'sotuuna.m' is gen. or dat. pl. Either seems
      to work but I do question if a gen. pl. can relate directly to the
      adjectival compound instead of the tappurisa compound that follows it. I
      offer the following tentative translation of the gaathaa:

      From here on, showing the terms and the conjugational endings and so on, I
      will present to listeners (i.e., students) the permutation of the verb
      (i.e., bhavati) which will serve to widen (one's) understanding (or
      knowledge).

      Near the beginning of the 2nd pariccheda is the following:
      > tattha ti anti, si tha, mi ma, te ante, se vhe, e mhe iccetaa
      > vattamaanaavibhattiyo naama.

      Aggava.msa has presented a series of 12 present tense conjugational endings
      which are denoted by the technical term: vattamaanavibhattiyo. This is an
      example of what I think Aggava.msa means when he says: naamavibhatti- (the
      terms and their endings). Naama is used as a synonym of sa~n~naa (technical
      term).

      Best wishes to all in the New Year 2009!
      Jim
    • Jim Anderson
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 2, 2009
        Dear Mahinda,

        Thanks! I agree with you on both of your objections. I also found a
        'naamavibhattiihi' in the 6th pariccheda and the obvious meaning of 'noun
        endings' there would also have to apply to a conjectured naama-vihbatt'- in
        the 2nd pariccheda which, by the way, has something to say about the noun
        endings or the absence thereof (see avibhattikaniddeso). In the case of your
        objection regarding 'naama' and the cases of words that can precede it, I
        was unsure about this to start with. Thanks for quoting the examples with
        the accusative and genitive cases and thereby clearing up the matter for me.

        Jim