Re: [Pali] Re: Saddaniiti

    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 1, 2009
      Dear Yong Peng, George, Jim, Mahinda et al,

      Op 1-jan-2009, om 9:50 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

      > thank you, George. I think our next step is to devise a robust plan to
      > get through Padamaalaa. All constructive suggestions are welcome.
      -------
      N: A plan is a good idea. But it is best if the portions are small,
      otherwise I am overwhelmed. I enjoyed the discussions and found them
      useful. It is good George summarized the different suggested
      translations.
      I could just add that naama also can be translated as: indeed. It
      just emphasizes here. I sometimes leave it untranslated.

    • Jim Anderson
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 2, 2009
        Dear Mahinda,

        Thanks! I agree with you on both of your objections. I also found a
        'naamavibhattiihi' in the 6th pariccheda and the obvious meaning of 'noun
        endings' there would also have to apply to a conjectured naama-vihbatt'- in
        the 2nd pariccheda which, by the way, has something to say about the noun
        endings or the absence thereof (see avibhattikaniddeso). In the case of your
        objection regarding 'naama' and the cases of words that can precede it, I
        was unsure about this to start with. Thanks for quoting the examples with
        the accusative and genitive cases and thereby clearing up the matter for me.

        Jim