Re: Saddaniiti

    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 1, 2009
      Dear George and friends,

      thank you, George. I think our next step is to devise a robust plan to
      get through Padamaalaa. All constructive suggestions are welcome.
      Thank you.

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, gdbedell wrote:

      I second Yong Peng's procedural proposal. Baalaavataara contains
      narrower coverage of Paali grammar that Saddaniiti (Padamaalaa), but
      it will provide a bridge to the very brief and abstract Paa.ninian
      grammatical system.

      > I like to propose that we cover padamaalaa first, then work on
      Baalaavataara, before proceeding with dhaatumaalaa.
    • Jim Anderson
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 2, 2009
        Dear Mahinda,

        Thanks! I agree with you on both of your objections. I also found a
        'naamavibhattiihi' in the 6th pariccheda and the obvious meaning of 'noun
        endings' there would also have to apply to a conjectured naama-vihbatt'- in
        the 2nd pariccheda which, by the way, has something to say about the noun
        endings or the absence thereof (see avibhattikaniddeso). In the case of your
        objection regarding 'naama' and the cases of words that can precede it, I
        was unsure about this to start with. Thanks for quoting the examples with
        the accusative and genitive cases and thereby clearing up the matter for me.

        Jim