An Elementary Pali Course

  • Lester Kortenhoeven
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 16, 2008
      Hi,

      I'm new on this mailing-list. I live in Germany. I was looking for a
      good online course to learn Pali. I found some web-pages in German, but
      I was not satisfied with what I found. So I searched for English
      web-pages and found the course "An Elementary Pali Course" by Ven.
      Narada. Do someone knows if there is a German version of this course?
      If there isn't a German version, I would offer to translate the
      English text to German.

      Greetings,
      Lester Kortenhoeven

      Ps: excuse my bad English
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 17, 2008
        Dear Lester,

        did you try this: <http://www.palikanon.de/#top > ?

        They have a space on top where you can ask questions.
        Nina.
        Op 17-dec-2008, om 5:04 heeft Lester Kortenhoeven het volgende
        geschreven:

        > I'm new on this mailing-list. I live in Germany. I was looking for a
        > good online course to learn Pali. I found some web-pages in German

      • Jon Fernquest
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 17, 2008
          Dear Lester;

          I've come across these three books at the Siam Society in Bangkok:

          1. Pali, Buddhas Sprache ; Anfanger-Lehrgang zum Selbstunterricht / [by] Kurt Schmidt
          Names Schmidt, Kurt, writer on Buddhism
          Publisher P. Christiani, Konstanz, 1951

          2. Leer ist die Welt; buddhistische Studien / Kurt Schmidt
          Names Schmidt, Kurt, writer on Buddhism
          Publisher Verlag Christiani, Konstanz, c1953

          3. Spruche und Lieder: Dhammapada; Das Buch der Spruche; Udana; Aphorismen Buddhas; aus Suttanipata und Theragatha / Aus dem Pali ubers. von Kurt Schmidt.
          Names Schmidt, Kurt, writer on Buddhism
          Publisher Verlag Christiani, Konstanz, c1954

          One of them, I believe the first, has word for word glosses and seems very good for self-instruction. I believe they are in German. And much of the work of the great Pali scholars Oskar Hinuber and Heinz Bechert, and Wilhelm Geiger are in German. Harold Hundius has also done work on northern Thai Pali literature.

          With metta,
          Jon Fernquest

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 8 5:33 AM
            Is there a way I can get a hard copy of the book "An Elementary Pali
            Course"? I realize that it is online, but I would like a hard copy of
            the latest edition. Is there a copyright that would prevent me from
            having it printed?
          • grasje
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 8 7:05 AM
              Dear sister Dipa,

              I really doubt if it is available as a hard copy. Maybe someone else
              on the forum knows more.

              It will take you quite a while to work through the whole book, you
              could start by printing only the first 5 lessons or so, and printout
              more when you need them.
              I would personally recommend to use Da Silva's Pali primer as well.
              Here you could start with lesson 1-8, they cover the same grammar as
              lesson 1-5 from the elementary course.
              In this way you have more opportunity for practising the declensions
              of nouns. If your native language does not have declensions of nouns,
              (like e.g. in Russian)it will take you some time to get used to it.
              Both courses can be downloaded from:
              http://pratyeka.org/narada/
              If you want them editable and expanded with a study guide (not PDF) use
              http://orunla.org/tm/pali/htpali/pcourse.html
              Da Silva's is available (in non-PDF) on
              http://www.vri.dhamma.org/publications/pali/primer/

              As far as I know, the excellent people who wrote the courses allowed
              them to be available online, as a gift of dhamma. No copyright troubles.

              In the files on this forum there is a spreadsheet with with you can
              practise the vocabulary. On the last page of the sheet there is an
              overview of the correspondence of lessons between the pali primer and
              the elementary course.

              I wish you all the best with your study.

              Ria Glas

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 9 4:16 AM
                Dear Dipa,

                there is still copyright for the book, which prevent you from
                commercial sales. If you are really using it for self-study, you can
                print it out, but do not bind it permanently.