Re: [Pali] Re: Pali Day by Day G041 Question + Cosmic Smile

  • Mahinda Palihawadana
    Message 1 of 134 , Dec 11, 2008
      Dear Jim,
      To continue our conversation regarding the Cariyaapi.taka stanza "so
      bajjhata.m.." etc.
      (1) Metre: One can agree with your wanting to change the name of the
      metre from Indravajraa to Upajaati i.e., a mixture of Indravajraa and
      Upendravajraa.The only material difference between the two is that the
      initial ga.na (unit of three syllables) of a paada in Indravajraa is
      L,L,S while in Upendravajra it is S,L,S and in Upajati it could be
      either. When we look at the whole of the 13 verse ballad in which this
      stz occurs, we see that of the 52 instances of initial ga.na, 27
      conform to Indravajraa and 22 to Upendravajraa and the other three are
      irregular . So it is possible to regard the metre as Upajaati.

      (2) Chabbhi. My point is that -bhi in chabbhi is not just an aadesa
      (substitute) for --hi 'allowed' by grammar, but a phonetic development
      of the regular instr,-abl. ending -bhis of Old Indo-Aryan. Behind
      most, if not all, aadesa and aagaama forms (i.e., forms that
      grammarians explain as due to aadesa or aagama), we find a more
      natuarl phonetic phenomenon. Consider sa.laayatana, cha.labhi~n~naa,
      chassu and chabbhi. They all go back to an OIA form which is
      reflected in Vedic .sa.t- (it is a different matter that behind
      .sa.t- itself there are a lot of phonetic developments). But
      grammarians will resort to different explanations for these forms.

      I am not saying that these forms are instances of Skt influencing
      Pali. That would be historically not correct. What I say is that they
      are a reflection of common OIA forms. Skt as a language is actually
      younger than the ancient Pali of the early strata of the Tiptaka. But
      Skat retains older forms because after the celebrated grammarian
      Paa.nini (c.4th c. BC), phonetic developments that went beyond his
      rules came to be regarded as errors or aberrations. There are of
      course other instances of Skt influencing the later Pali tradition.

      If some of these froms like chabbhi are very rare, that is
      considerably due to the very process of 'correction' that I mentioned
      earlier. Sometimes this process becomes clear when one looks at the
      variant readings of MSS. Naturally, CSCD itself has to have adopted
      one reading (i.e., a 'correction') and disregard the variant
      readings.

      Best wishes.

      Mahinda

      Message 134 of 134 , Feb 23 5:36 AM

        below is the link to NPC2 study guide, if you are looking for it.

        http://www.tipitaka.net/palicourseguide2.pdf