Re: [Pali] Pasenadi verse

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 11, 2008
      Stephen,

      This is what you are looking for (from the Ayyikaa Sutta):

      Sabbe sattā marissanti,
      maraṇantañhi jīvitaṃ;
      Yathākammaṃ gamissanti,
      puññapāpaphalūpagā;
      Nirayaṃ pāpakammantā,
      puññakammā ca suggatiṃ.

      Tasmā kareyya kalyāṇaṃ,
      nicayaṃ samparāyikaṃ;
      Puññāni paralokasmiṃ,
      patiṭṭhā honti pāṇinan 'ti.

      (S 431-431/3.22/1:97)

      If the Pali does not work, let me know.

      Piya Tan

      --
      The Minding Centre
      Singapore 650644

    • Stephen Hodge
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 12, 2008
        Dear Piya,

        Thank you for your suggestions. But, alas, they do not fit. The emphasis
        should be on Buddhas etc dying. However, this verse may possibly not be
        preserved in the Pali tradition ~ its immediate source would have been
        Mahasanghika. If it's any help, here is the Chinese text:

        諸佛與緣覺 及以弟子眾
        猶捨無常身 何況諸凡夫

        Best wishes,
        Stephen Hodge

        --

        ------------------------------------

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 12, 2008
          sDear Stephen,

          The verse is according to the context you gave. I suspect there were times
          when certain translator (unlike Xuanzang) who would probably interpolated
          their own verses (perhaps from some other texts) that they thought reflected
          the Chinese mind better.

          John Brough has shown how sometimes when the translators are faced with a
          very difficult passage, they would simply interpolate wholesale a passage
          from a familiar work with similar inital words!

          At the moment I'm not sure where the Chinese translators got their verse.
          Have you checked with Bucknell's Pali-Chinese Sutra Correspondence to locate
          the cogant suttas?

          With best wishes,

          Piya Tan

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 12, 2008
            Dear Piya,

            Thanks for your general comments ~ yes, I am aware of the flexibility /
            ingenuity of the translators into Chinese. But the text I am looking at is
            a Mahayana sutra which quotes a good number of verses which are *all*
            authentic ~ I have traced them either to the Udaana-varga (Skt) [=
            Dhammapada] or to one or other of the Khuddaka compilations, with just two
            or three exceptions. Contextually, I am convinced that this verse must have
            been found in one of the early canonical sources ~ but as I mentioned, this
            Mahayana sutra is clearly Mahasanghika affiliated and not enough of their
            specific material has survived. But thanks for your thoughts ~ it was a
            long shot anyway !

            best wishes,
            Stephen Hodge