tenupasa"nkami / tenupasa"nkama

  • flrobert2000
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 11, 2008

      In most of the cases we find the aorist form "tenupasa"nkami" (as in
      atha kho raajaa maagadho ajaatasattu vedehiputto yena bhagavaa
      tenupasa"nkami)but then in some instances we find "tenupasa"nkama"
      such as in "ehi tva.m, braahma.na, yena bhagavaa tenupasa"nkama" or in
      "ehi tva.m taata amba.t.tha, yena sama.no gotamo tenupasa"nkama".
      Where does this form come? What would be the correct translation of
      this sentence then?

      In the first case ajaatasattu is subject of upasa"nkami but in the
      second case is tva.m the subject of tenupasa"nkama? What tense is then?

      Kind regards,

      Florent
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 11, 2008
        Dear Florent,
        Op 11-dec-2008, om 11:35 heeft flrobert2000 het volgende geschreven:

        > In most of the cases we find the aorist form "tenupasa"nkami" (as in
        > atha kho raajaa maagadho ajaatasattu vedehiputto yena bhagavaa
        > tenupasa"nkami)but then in some instances we find "tenupasa"nkama"
        > such as in "ehi tva.m, braahma.na, yena bhagavaa tenupasa"nkama" or in
        > "ehi tva.m taata amba.t.tha, yena sama.no gotamo tenupasa"nkama".
        ------
        N: It looks like an imperative. You must approach.

      • John Kelly
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 11, 2008
          Dear Florent,

          It looks like 2nd person singular imperative.
          "Come, brahmin, approach the Blessed One!"

          By the way, Florent, I've been meaning to thank you for the lovely
          cosmic smile photos you posted. I've saved one of them as a screen
          saver now.

          Avec metta, mon ami,
          John

          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "flrobert2000" <flrobert2000@...> wrote:

          > Dear friends,
          >
          > In most of the cases we find the aorist form "tenupasa"nkami" (as in
          > atha kho raajaa maagadho ajaatasattu vedehiputto yena bhagavaa
          > tenupasa"nkami)but then in some instances we find "tenupasa"nkama"
          > such as in "ehi tva.m, braahma.na, yena bhagavaa tenupasa"nkama" or in
          > "ehi tva.m taata amba.t.tha, yena sama.no gotamo tenupasa"nkama".
          > Where does this form come? What would be the correct translation of
          > this sentence then?
          >
          > In the first case ajaatasattu is subject of upasa"nkami but in the
          > second case is tva.m the subject of tenupasa"nkama? What tense is then?
          >
          > Kind regards,
          >
          > Florent

        • flrobert2000
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 19, 2008
            Dear John and Nina,

            Thank you for your answer and sorry for this rather obvious question.
            I completely overlooked this -a ending form of the imperative.

            With metta,

            Florent