Re: [Pali] Re: Pali Day by Day G041 Question + Cosmic Smile

  • Jim Anderson
    Message 1 of 134 , Dec 5, 2008
      Dear Florent,

      > If I understand well the explanations Mahinda gave previously on
      > metrics a long uu is equivalent to the syllable ta.m, and they in
      both
      > cases fit the meter which has eleven syllables (tu.t.thubbha.m). I
      > have been trying to find out which variety of meter it is by looking
      > at the lengths of the syllables, remembering that a, i or u followed
      > by a consonant is prosodially long and a vowel followed by .m is
      also
      > long. Here is what I found out:
      >
      > LLS LLS SLS LS
      > LLS LLS SLL LL
      > LLS LLS SLS LS
      > SLS LLS SLS LS

      I think SLL on the second line should be SLS.

      > Could you please confirm if this is right? It doesn't seem to fit
      > though any of the 11 varieties given for the tu.t.thubbha.m meter
      p335
      > of Duroiselle's grammar. Where did I do a mistake?

      I checked a translation (which includes tables) of the standard
      Vuttodaya text on Pali metrics and I think I have identified the metre
      as a variety of upajaati, one of the 11 varieties of the tu.t.thubbha
      metre that are listed. Upajaati is a mixture of the indavajiraa and
      upendavajiraa metres and one of its 14 varieties is as follows:

      LLS LLS SLS LL indavajiraa
      LLS LLS SLS LL indavajiraa
      LLS LLS SLS LL indavajiraa
      SLS LLS SLS LL upendavajiraa

      I think the last syllable of each line can be either short or long.
      The example given in the translation had short final syllables at the
      end of three of the four lines.

      Regards,
      Jim
      Message 134 of 134 , Feb 23, 2010
        Dear friends,

        below is the link to NPC2 study guide, if you are looking for it.

        http://www.tipitaka.net/palicourseguide2.pdf