Re: [Pali] Re: Pali Day by Day G041 Question + Cosmic Smile

  • Jim Anderson
    Message 1 of 134 , Dec 5, 2008
      Dear Piya,

      > I'm not sure if chamhi can be divided into cha-mhi, because there is
      > no such syllable or sound in Pali. But there is nha as in nhataka.
      > The oddity is best explained as metri causa.

      The Saddaniiti explains the following group of combined letters: ~nh,
      .nh, nh, mh, yh, lh, vh, .lh. Apparently, the pronunciation of the h
      in these combinations is not the same as the h alone as in hoti. The
      difference is that the former is an urasija (born of the chest) while
      the latter is a ka.n.thaja (a guttural).

      I'm not at all clear how the urasija h is to be pronounced. I have
      thought of an aspirated sound but I find it impossible to pronounce
      the h in yh as an aspirated sound in combination with y.

      Your example of nhataka with initial nh shows that these combinations
      have to be pronounced similtaneously. Another convincing example is
      .lh. I don't think anyone would think of dividing ruu.lhi into
      ruu.l-hi.

      I reproduce below Aggava.msa's explanation:

      ya-ra-la-va-.lha-pa~ncamehi yutto ha-kaaro urasijo, kevalo ka.n.thajo
      va, saasanikappayogato pana "na-kaaravajjito:

      ~na-.na-na-mehi sa.myutto tathaa ya-la-va-.lehi ho
      saasane oraso ~neyyo, ka.n.thajo yeva kevalo;

      ta~nhi ta.nhaa nhusaasumha muyhate vulhate tathaa
      avhito ruu,lhi icc ete payogaa honti saasane;
      (Sadd III 609)

      A study of the metre of the above two verses might clarify how the
      syllables are to be divided. Note the 3 short syllables at the
      beginning of each verse if we assume ta-~nhi ta-.nhaa (sssl) of the
      second verse.

      Best wishes,
      Jim
      Message 134 of 134 , Feb 23, 2010

        below is the link to NPC2 study guide, if you are looking for it.

        http://www.tipitaka.net/palicourseguide2.pdf