Re: Pali Day by Day G041 Question + Cosmic Smile

  • flrobert2000
    Message 1 of 134 , Dec 5, 2008
      Dear Mahinda and Jim,

      I found three occurrences of this verse in the CSCD:

      1) In Jaatakapaa.li, 14. Paki.n.nakanipaato, 488. Bhisajaataka.m :
      So bajjhatuu paasasatehi chabbhi [chamhi (sii. pii.), chassu (?)]

      2) In the a.t.thakathaa Bhisajaatakava.n.nanaa:
      So bajjhatuu paasasatehi chabbhi
      with the following commentary:
      Chabbhiiti catuusu paadesu giivaaya ka.tibhaage caati chasu .thaanesu.

      3) Finally in the Cariyaapi.taka-a.t.thakathaa, 3. Yudha~njayavaggo
      ,4. Bhisacariyaava.n.nanaa:
      So bajjhata.m paasasatehi chamhi (same as Buddhadatta)
      with the following commentary:
      Chamhiiti catuusu paadesu giivaaya ka.tibhaage caati chasu .thaanesu.

      So we find the passive root bajjha in the imperative both in the
      parassapada form (but with a lengthened uu) and in the attanopada
      form. If I understand well the explanations Mahinda gave previously on
      metrics a long uu is equivalent to the syllable ta.m, and they in both
      cases fit the meter which has eleven syllables (tu.t.thubbha.m). I
      have been trying to find out which variety of meter it is by looking
      at the lengths of the syllables, remembering that a, i or u followed
      by a consonant is prosodially long and a vowel followed by .m is also
      long. Here is what I found out:

      LLS LLS SLS LS
      LLS LLS SLL LL
      LLS LLS SLS LS
      SLS LLS SLS LS

      Could you please confirm if this is right? It doesn't seem to fit
      though any of the 11 varieties given for the tu.t.thubbha.m meter p335
      of Duroiselle's grammar. Where did I do a mistake?

      Florent

      PS: What does "caati" mean here in the commentary?
      Message 134 of 134 , Feb 23, 2010

        below is the link to NPC2 study guide, if you are looking for it.

        http://www.tipitaka.net/palicourseguide2.pdf