Re: [Pali] Re: Pali Day by Day G041 Question + Cosmic Smile

  • Jim Anderson
    Message 1 of 134 , Dec 4, 2008
      Dear Mahinda,

      > The point that Jim makes is valid. Cha-mhi is a really curious form:
      > a singular (loc.) suffix added to a word that has a plural sense.

      I don't know much about metres, but it appears to me that, from
      looking at the lines in the verses at J IV 310, the second last
      syllable of each line of 11 syllables should be long or heavy (garu).
      I think you're right in dividing chamhi into cha-mhi. With cha- as
      short or light (lahu) wouldn't this suggest that chamhi might be an
      erroneous reading? Chabbhi is the Burmese reading and fits the metre.
      In the section on numerals, the Saddaniiti has chabhi in addition to
      chahi but no chabbhi. However, chabbhi does seem possible if you
      consider the consonantal doubling in the locative chassu as an
      alternative to chasu.

      I should mention that I posted my previous response to Florent without
      having first seen your earlier message which never reached my inbox.
      If I had seen it, there would have been no need for me to respond as
      well.

      Best wishes,
      Jim
      Message 134 of 134 , Feb 23, 2010
        Dear friends,

        below is the link to NPC2 study guide, if you are looking for it.

        http://www.tipitaka.net/palicourseguide2.pdf