Re: [Pali] Pali Day by Day G041 Question + Cosmic Smile

  • Jim Anderson
    Message 1 of 134 , Nov 30, 2008
      Dear Florent,

      > I have a question regarding the 3rd verse:
      >
      > So bajjhata.m paasasatehi chamhi
      >
      > he / binding / [with] hundred snares / [with] six / [from]
      delightful

      > How would you exactly translate "bajjhata.m"? I suppose it is a
      > Passive Present Participle the active root being "bandh". Would it
      > then mean "being bound"? Why does it not agree with the subject "so"
      > and not written "bajjhanto". It looks like a genitive or dative
      > plural here and I don't understand why.

      I think "bajjhata.m" is a passive verb derived from the root /bandh/,
      middle imperative, 3rd person singular, and constructed with "so" as
      the subject (the object in the nominative case) --- "may he be tied up
      with a hundred ropes". I find "chamhi" rather puzzling because of the
      readings in other versions such as: chambhii, chabbhi, even jambhi.
      The regular form of "cha" (six) in the instr. and abl. is "chahi". The
      commentary at J IV 311 interprets the word in the verse as "in six
      places" (i.e., the four legs, the neck, and the waist).

      You can upload your picture to the photo section of the group's home
      page.

      Best wishes,
      Jim
      Message 134 of 134 , Feb 23, 2010

        below is the link to NPC2 study guide, if you are looking for it.

        http://www.tipitaka.net/palicourseguide2.pdf