Paalii Translation needed

  • freeyow
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 20, 2008
      Hi Bro. Ong YP, here is the following message:

      "Cirassa.m vata passaami, braahma.na.m parinibbuta.m;
      Appati.t.tha.m anaayuuha.m, ti.n.na.m loke visattika''nti. –SN1.1.1

      Siilepati.t.thaaya naro sapa~n~no, citta.m pa~n~na~nca
      bhaavaya.m;aataapii nipako bhikkhu, so ima.m vija.taye ja.tanti. (SN1.23)

      Thanks in advanced

      With Metta,
      Yow
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 24, 2008
        Dear Yow,

        thanks for your post. I shall attempt the first verse, just note that
        it is a free literal translation:

        "Cirassa.m vata passaami,
        "Alas, I finally see,

        braahma.na.m parinibbuta.m;
        a brahmin released;

        Appati.t.tha.m anaayuuha.m,
        neither attached nor constrained,

        ti.n.na.m loke visattika"nti.
        desire in the world overcome."

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 25, 2008
          Dear Yow,

          here is the second verse. Feel free to share your opinions.

          "Siile-pati.t.thaaya naro sapa~n~no,
          "Firm in morality, a man, wise,

          citta.m pa~n~na~nca bhaavaya.m;
          and cultivating the insightful mind;

          aataapii nipako bhikkhu,
          the ardent and prudent monk,

          so ima.m vija.taye ja.tan"ti.
          [he] would this tangle organize."

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 25, 2008
            Op 25-nov-2008, om 14:17 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

            > so ima.m vija.taye ja.tan"ti.
            > [he] would this tangle organize."
            -------
            N: Literally: he would disentangle this tangle. Vija.teti: unravel,
            disentangle.
            All this is similar to the beginning of the Visuddhimagga, I, 1. :

            �When a wise man, established well in Virtue,
            Develops Consciousness and Understanding,
            Then as a bhikkhu ardent and sagacious
            He succeeds in disentangling this tangle (S I, 13)�

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 26, 2008

              thanks for your explanation. I agree with the meaning of vija.teti as
              you explained. I got vija.taye = vija.teyya from the commentary. I
              wonder if -aye is a rare form of conjugation for the Optative, or a
              corruption for metrical purposes.

              I actually chose 'organise' so that it rhythms with the rest of the
              verse. Thanks for the example from Visuddhimagga, I realise I made a
              mistake with ca in the second line.

              After the corrections, the verse would now be:

              "Firm in morality, a man, wise,
              cultivating wisdom, and (developing) the mind;
              the ardent and prudent monk,
              he would this tangle untwine."

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 26, 2008
                Op 26-nov-2008, om 12:38 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

                > I got vija.taye = vija.teyya from the commentary. I
                > wonder if -aye is a rare form of conjugation for the Optative, or a
                > corruption for metrical purposes.
                ------
                N: Although long and short of metri were discussed herebefore, I
                found it complicated.

                > Y.P.: After the corrections, the verse would now be:
                >
                > "Firm in morality, a man, wise,
                > cultivating wisdom, and (developing) the mind;
                > the ardent and prudent monk,
                > he would this tangle untwine."
                ------
                N: very nice this 'untwine', I like it, it falls well into the rhytm.

              • freeyow
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 28, 2008
                  --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Ong Yong Peng" <palismith@...> wrote:

                  > Dear Yow,
                  >
                  > thanks for your post. I shall attempt the first verse, just note that
                  > it is a free literal translation:
                  >
                  > "Cirassa.m vata passaami,
                  > "Alas, I finally see,
                  >
                  > braahma.na.m parinibbuta.m;
                  > a brahmin released;
                  >
                  > Appati.t.tha.m anaayuuha.m,
                  > neither attached nor constrained,
                  >
                  > ti.n.na.m loke visattika"nti.
                  > desire in the world overcome."
                  >

                  > metta,
                  > Yong Peng.
                  >

                  > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, freeyow wrote:
                  >
                  > "Cirassa.m vata passaami, braahma.na.m parinibbuta.m;
                  > Appati.t.tha.m anaayuuha.m, ti.n.na.m loke visattika''nti.

                  Thanks YP & Nina, I have an image on this verse now.

                  Btw, May I ask further for these words?

                  addhada.n.dakehipi taa.lente
                  hatthampi chindante

                  Many Thanks

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 29, 2008

                    thanks again. Metrics is something we can study in the near future, if
                    there is enough interest.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 28, 2008
                      Dear Nina and friends,

                      as I am near completion in the preparation of some HTML documents,
                      including a chapter on prosody, I thought it may be a good idea to
                      post it to the group with some notes for discussion. I shall do so in
                      another post under a separate subject heading.