Re: Pali Day by Day G039 - Questions

  • mahipaliha
    Message 1 of 134 , Nov 13, 2008
      Dear Florent,

      > > Sentence 7:
      > > I though dvaara was neuter. Why do we have "vihaaro
      > sa.mvutadvaaro" in
      > > the masculine and then dvaara.m in the neuter gender vivari
      > Bhagavaa
      > > dvaara.m) as it should be? It seems like dvaaro acts like an
      > adjective
      > > to vihaaro.

      It does indeed. As a bahubbiihi samaasa, it functions adjectivally and
      agrees with vihaaro in number, gender and case, regardless of its own
      formal gender, which as you say is neuter. There is no earthly reason
      why vihaara should be masculine and dvaara neuter, but that is how it
      is. Quirks of grammar and usage!

      >Why couldn't we have something like "vihaarassa
      > > sa.mvutadvaara.m"?

      It would be possible,and would mean "the closed door of the vihaara".
      The samaasa would be a kammadhaaraya with vihaara- as the principal
      word.There will be no question of agreement with vihaara.
      The 2 constructions mean (1) the vihaara whose door was closed (2) the
      closed door of the vihaara.

      Mahinda Palihawadana

      Message 134 of 134 , Feb 23, 2010

        below is the link to NPC2 study guide, if you are looking for it.

        http://www.tipitaka.net/palicourseguide2.pdf