Re: [Pali] Saddanithi Grammer

  • Jim Anderson
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 10, 2008

      I posted a short overview of H. Smith's edition of the Saddaniiti to
      this list on May 10, 2003 (msg #2590). Not sure if this is what you
      have in mind.

      Jim

      > Dear Jim,
      > thank you very much. But I see there are five volumes, and this
      > discourages me.
      > I wish there was a short summary.
      > Nina.
      > Op 10-nov-2008, om 17:30 heeft Jim Anderson het volgende geschreven:
      >
      > > Helmer Smith's Romanized edition of the text is very good
      > > to work with. It is available from the Pali Text Society.
    • Jon Fernquest
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 10, 2008
        Some additional notes.

        1. There is a 200 page treatise devoted to the Saddaniiti in the
        Journal of the Pali Text Society, VOlume XVII, 1992, entitled
        "Exploring the Saddaniiti."

        2. There is also a Thai script version cited in Peter Skilling's
        bibliography of Pali literature in Thailand. I can provide citation
        when I find it. This version is easy to obtain in Thailand.

        3. I believe Steven Collins new grammar takes most of its example
        sentences from the Saddaniiti under appropriate grammatical topics.
        This would seem to be an easy way to study it.

        Question: Has anyone seen a quick reference guide to Pali with tables
        that can be mechanically used for grammatical and Sandhi
        transformations like Roderick S. Bucknell's "Sanskrit Manual" ?

        With metta,
        Jon Fernquest
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 11, 2008
          Dear Jim (and Jon F),
          thank you for the info, I found the post and copied it.
          Nina.
          Op 10-nov-2008, om 22:27 heeft Jim Anderson het volgende geschreven:

          > I posted a short overview of H. Smith's edition of the Saddaniiti to
          > this list on May 10, 2003 (msg #2590). Not sure if this is what you
          > have in mind.

        • prabodhapanditharatna
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 14, 2008

            > Venerable Prabodha,
            > Jim Anderson explained to us before some parts of saddaniti.
            > and this was interesting to all. Hopefully he reads this.
            > Respectfully,
            > Nina.
            > Op 8-nov-2008, om 13:32 heeft prabodhapanditharatna het volgende
            > geschreven:
            >
            > > I'm looking for a teacher who can teach saddanithi pali grammer.
            > > With metta
            > > Prabodha

            Dear All
            Thank you for the responses.
            I found valueble information on Saddhanithi in thi discussion.
            With Metta
            Prabodha