Re: [Pali] Saddanithi Grammer

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 10, 2008
      Dear Jim,
      thank you very much. But I see there are five volumes, and this
      discourages me.
      I wish there was a short summary.
      Nina.
      Op 10-nov-2008, om 17:30 heeft Jim Anderson het volgende geschreven:

      > Helmer Smith's Romanized edition of the text is very good
      > to work with. It is available from the Pali Text Society.

    • Jim Anderson
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 10, 2008
        Dear Nina,

        I posted a short overview of H. Smith's edition of the Saddaniiti to
        this list on May 10, 2003 (msg #2590). Not sure if this is what you
        have in mind.

        Jim

        > Dear Jim,
        > thank you very much. But I see there are five volumes, and this
        > discourages me.
        > I wish there was a short summary.
        > Nina.
        > Op 10-nov-2008, om 17:30 heeft Jim Anderson het volgende geschreven:
        >
        > > Helmer Smith's Romanized edition of the text is very good
        > > to work with. It is available from the Pali Text Society.
      • Jon Fernquest
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 10, 2008
          Some additional notes.

          1. There is a 200 page treatise devoted to the Saddaniiti in the
          Journal of the Pali Text Society, VOlume XVII, 1992, entitled
          "Exploring the Saddaniiti."

          2. There is also a Thai script version cited in Peter Skilling's
          bibliography of Pali literature in Thailand. I can provide citation
          when I find it. This version is easy to obtain in Thailand.

          3. I believe Steven Collins new grammar takes most of its example
          sentences from the Saddaniiti under appropriate grammatical topics.
          This would seem to be an easy way to study it.

          Question: Has anyone seen a quick reference guide to Pali with tables
          that can be mechanically used for grammatical and Sandhi
          transformations like Roderick S. Bucknell's "Sanskrit Manual" ?

          With metta,
          Jon Fernquest
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 11, 2008
            Dear Jim (and Jon F),
            thank you for the info, I found the post and copied it.
            Nina.
            Op 10-nov-2008, om 22:27 heeft Jim Anderson het volgende geschreven:

            > I posted a short overview of H. Smith's edition of the Saddaniiti to
            > this list on May 10, 2003 (msg #2590). Not sure if this is what you
            > have in mind.

          • prabodhapanditharatna
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 14, 2008

              > Venerable Prabodha,
              > Jim Anderson explained to us before some parts of saddaniti.
              > and this was interesting to all. Hopefully he reads this.
              > Respectfully,
              > Nina.
              > Op 8-nov-2008, om 13:32 heeft prabodhapanditharatna het volgende
              > geschreven:
              >
              > > I'm looking for a teacher who can teach saddanithi pali grammer.
              > > With metta
              > > Prabodha

              Dear All
              Thank you for the responses.
              I found valueble information on Saddhanithi in thi discussion.
              With Metta
              Prabodha