Saddanithi Grammer

  • prabodhapanditharatna
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 8, 2008
      I'm looking for a teacher who can teach saddanithi pali grammer.
      With metta
      Prabodha
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 9, 2008
        Venerable Prabodha,
        Jim Anderson explained to us before some parts of saddaniti.
        and this was interesting to all. Hopefully he reads this.
        Respectfully,
        Nina.
        Op 8-nov-2008, om 13:32 heeft prabodhapanditharatna het volgende
        geschreven:

        > I'm looking for a teacher who can teach saddanithi pali grammer.
        > With metta
        > Prabodha

      • Jim Anderson
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 10, 2008
          Dear Nina and Prabodha,

          The Saddaniiti is worthy of study and I became interested in this
          large grammar soon after I began to work with Warder's Introduction to
          Pali in 1976 which mentions the Saddaniiti. I don't know anyone who
          knows it thoroughly and would be capable of teaching the whole text. I
          would think that such a teacher would be very hard to find. Not being
          able to find a teacher shouldn't deter one from studying the text on
          one's own. Helmer Smith's Romanized edition of the text is very good
          to work with. It is available from the Pali Text Society.

          Best wishes,
          Jim

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 10, 2008
            Dear Jim,
            thank you very much. But I see there are five volumes, and this
            discourages me.
            I wish there was a short summary.
            Nina.
            Op 10-nov-2008, om 17:30 heeft Jim Anderson het volgende geschreven:

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 10, 2008
              Dear Nina,

              I posted a short overview of H. Smith's edition of the Saddaniiti to
              this list on May 10, 2003 (msg #2590). Not sure if this is what you
              have in mind.

              Jim

              > Dear Jim,
              > thank you very much. But I see there are five volumes, and this
              > discourages me.
              > I wish there was a short summary.
              > Nina.
              > Op 10-nov-2008, om 17:30 heeft Jim Anderson het volgende geschreven:
              >
              > > Helmer Smith's Romanized edition of the text is very good
              > > to work with. It is available from the Pali Text Society.
            • Jon Fernquest
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 10, 2008
                Some additional notes.

                1. There is a 200 page treatise devoted to the Saddaniiti in the
                Journal of the Pali Text Society, VOlume XVII, 1992, entitled
                "Exploring the Saddaniiti."

                2. There is also a Thai script version cited in Peter Skilling's
                bibliography of Pali literature in Thailand. I can provide citation
                when I find it. This version is easy to obtain in Thailand.

                3. I believe Steven Collins new grammar takes most of its example
                sentences from the Saddaniiti under appropriate grammatical topics.
                This would seem to be an easy way to study it.

                Question: Has anyone seen a quick reference guide to Pali with tables
                that can be mechanically used for grammatical and Sandhi
                transformations like Roderick S. Bucknell's "Sanskrit Manual" ?

                With metta,
                Jon Fernquest
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 11, 2008
                  Dear Jim (and Jon F),
                  thank you for the info, I found the post and copied it.
                  Nina.
                  Op 10-nov-2008, om 22:27 heeft Jim Anderson het volgende geschreven:

                  > I posted a short overview of H. Smith's edition of the Saddaniiti to
                  > this list on May 10, 2003 (msg #2590). Not sure if this is what you
                  > have in mind.

                • prabodhapanditharatna
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 14, 2008

                    > Venerable Prabodha,
                    > Jim Anderson explained to us before some parts of saddaniti.
                    > and this was interesting to all. Hopefully he reads this.
                    > Respectfully,
                    > Nina.
                    > Op 8-nov-2008, om 13:32 heeft prabodhapanditharatna het volgende
                    > geschreven:
                    >
                    > > I'm looking for a teacher who can teach saddanithi pali grammer.
                    > > With metta
                    > > Prabodha

                    Dear All
                    Thank you for the responses.
                    I found valueble information on Saddhanithi in thi discussion.
                    With Metta
                    Prabodha