Re: Pali Day by Day G037 - The New Pali Course Part II - Ex 14 p101

  • flrobert2000
    Message 1 of 134 , Nov 5, 2008
      Thank you very much for pointing this out. The reason is actually
      quite simple. When I looked up this verse in the CSCD (§232) instead
      of finding "Yo'dha pu~n~na~n ca paapa~n ca" I found "Yo ca siita~nca
      u.nha~nca" which I translated as heat and cold. I initially assumed
      this was Buddhadatta's mistake but after some discussions with
      Mahipaliha I realised that there were quite a few mistakes in the
      CSCD, so I reverted back to Buddhadatta's version but forgot to change
      the English translation.
      Regards,
      Florent

      > In paragraph seven of exercise 14, why did you translate pu~n~na~nca
      paapa~nca as heat and cold? I believe that these words mean merit and
      evil.
      > John pruitt
      >

      > 7."Yo'dha pu~n~na~n ca paapa~n ca
      >
      > Ti.naa bhiiyo na ma~n~nati.
      >
      > Kara.m purisakiccaani
      >
      > So sukhaa na vihaayati." Thg. 30 [Khuddakanikaaye, Theragaathaapaa. li,
      >
      > 3. Tikanipaato, 5. Maata'ngaputtatther agaathaa]
      >
      > whoever / here / merit / and / evil action / and
      >
      > grass / more than / not / imagines
      >
      > doing / manly works
      >
      > he / [from] happiness / not / go away
      >
      > He who considers cold and heat as no more than grass,
      >
      > Doing his manly works, he does not go away from happiness.

      Ex 14 p101

      Message 134 of 134 , Feb 23, 2010
        Dear friends,

        below is the link to NPC2 study guide, if you are looking for it.

        http://www.tipitaka.net/palicourseguide2.pdf