Re: sutta geyya veyyakarana

  • thomaslaw03
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 21, 2008
      Dear Mahinda, and Pali friends,

      Thank you very much, Mahinda, for the information about the Sinhala
      edition.

      A person emailed me about the Thai edition of the words:

      The Syaamara.t.tha edition, vol. 14, p. 241: "na kho aananda arahati
      saavako satthaara.m anubandhitu.m yadida.m suttageyyaveyyaakara.nassa
      sotu.m, ta.m kissa hetu."

      I don't know Thai, so cannot confirm this information. Hopefully
      someone here can help to confirm the words.

      Can anyone help to translate the above-mentioned Thai Pali sentence?
      Are there any big differences from the Sinhala and CSCD versions? Why
      the PTS version has different words? (I thought that the PTS follows
      closely the Sinhala edition?)

      Thank you.

      Thomas Law

      P.S.:

      PTS edition: "na kho, aananda, arahati saavako satthaara.m
      anubandhitu.m yadida.m sutta.m geyya.m veyyaakara.nassa hetu." (MN
      vol. 111, p. 115)

      CSCD and Sinhala editions (page unknown), and the commentary
      (Papa~ncasuudanii)(page unknown):
      "na kho, ... yadida.m sutta.m geyya.m veyyaakara.na.m tassa hetu."

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Mahinda Palihawadana" <mahipal6@...>
      wrote:

      > Dear Thomas Law,
      > In the Sinhala editions it is, as in CSCD, "sutta.m geyya.m
      > veyyaakara.na.m".
      >
      > Mahinda
      >
      > On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 9:55 AM, thomaslaw03 <thomaslaw03@...>wrote:
      >
      > > Dear Kumaara, and Pali friends,
      > >
      > > Thank you very much for your reply, Kumaara. If you consider that
      the
      > > only four angas shown in the AN could be an earlier list (compared
      > > the traditional set of nine), then, the only first three angas
      found
      > > in the MN (and the MA) were likely the earliest or earlier than
      the
      > > four set in AN (which the four set could be an abbreviation of the
      > > entire set of nine?).
      > >
      > > Suggested by Jim and Mahinda, the CSCD version and the commentary
      > > have: " ... veyyaakara.na.m tassa hetu" (that is, "yadida.m
      sutta.m
      > > geyya.m veyyaakara.na.m tassa hetu"), instead of "...
      veyyakara.nassa

      Bhikkhu <yg@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > The CSCD has the same and does not indicate any variant reading.
      > > >
      > > > I wonder if this may be an earlier list compared the traditional
      > > set of nine. As I understand from scholars, the suttas went
      through
      > > an evolution, which involved attempts to standardise things and
      even
      > > to endorse later texts. This may have escaped that. Perhaps the
      > > editors did not find it necessary to change this as it does not
      say
      > > that the Buddha or an ordained disciple of his said it.
      > > >
      > > > Btw, I find this sutta somewhat peculiar at the end when
      Karanapali
      > > says, "Let Master Pingayani accept me as a lay follower who has
      gone
      > > for refuge from today until life's end." (trans. Bhikkhu Bodhi).
      Huh?