Pronunciation {Re: [Pali] Re: Pali Day by Day G033 - The New Pali Course Part II - Ex 12}

  • Kumaara Bhikkhu
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2008
      mahipaliha wrote thus at 04:50 PM 07-10-08:
      >--- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "flrobert2000" <flrobert2000@...> wrote:
      >>Why do we count as long the vowels a, i, u preceded by double consonnants and does this mean one has to actually lengthen them when one pronounces them?
      >
      >In both Pali and Skt, a vowel followed by a consonant is counted as
      >a long syllable: a single short vowel is a syllabic unit; when you
      >add another sound to it it becomes 2 units. In actual
      >pronounciation we can see that this makes sense.

      Yes, it does. The relative length of time taken to pronounce "kaama" and "kamma" (both LS) is the same. The difference is where the sound drags—on the "a" sound or the "m" sound.

      peace

      Kumâra Bhikkhu

      We have labor saving devices, such as the computer, but I don't know of anyone who worked less since they got their computers. — Jack Kornfield