Tracing a phrase

  • rahula_80
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 13, 2008
      Hi,

      I am looking for the source of this phrase:
      manassa ussannattaa manussaa

      The answer I got from another discussion group are:

      1. Vimanaana-vatthu commentary (PTS 1901)
      verse 18: "manassa ussannataaya manussaa".

      2. "manassa va ussannatta manusso"
      http://nt.med.ncku.edu.tw/biochem/lsn/newrain/canon/pali-tipitaka-
      f1/Anna/By
      akarana%20gantha%20sangaha/Saddanitippakaranam-dhatumala.doc

      Can someone explain what the phrases mean, and its context? What is
      the text of the second source given above?

      I was given three different translations, and I do not know which is
      correct (or more accurate)

      1. "Human beings are full of conceit"

      2. "Humans beings (have) a mind that is full (of stuff)"

      3. "Man is said to be man, because of his mental accomplishment"

      Thanks,
      Rahula