Re: Pali Day by Day G033 - The New Pali Course Part II - Ex 12

    Message 1 of 134 , Oct 5, 2008
      Dear Mahinda, Nina and Florent,

      thanks for the interesting discussion. As I gather from the latest
      bits of this discussion:

      1. as a results of metrical arrangements in Pali, paha.taavakaasa in
      this verse is actually apaha.taavakaasa in prose.

      2. apaha.taavakaasa = space removed (or made disappeared)

      3. I suppose 'apaha.taavakaasaa' is an adjective which qualifies
      'vatthuta.nhaa'?

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Mahinda Palihawadana wrote:

      It is interesting that in 'avakaasa' too we have a preference shown to
      a form closer to Sanskrit (avakaa'sa) than 'okaasa' which is commoner
      in earlier Pali works.

      > > The result is we have an eminently suitable sense, the kind
      > > of poetical conception that authors of 'pakara.nas' like
      > > this work loved to indulge in: mercy occupies the whole
      > > heart and so there is no space (avakaasa) for greed.

      > N: I did not follow the whole thread, but my eye caught: avakaasa.
      In PED it is explained that ava can stand for o, and this example is
      given: okaasa. No opportunity for greed. It is said that ava is the
      earlier form. But perhaps this was discussed already?
      Message 134 of 134 , Feb 23, 2010

        below is the link to NPC2 study guide, if you are looking for it.

        http://www.tipitaka.net/palicourseguide2.pdf