Re: sutta geyya veyyakara

  • thomaslaw03
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 2, 2008
      Dear Jim,

      Thank you very much for the textual information from the CSCD
      version, and your translation and explanation of the Pali sentence.

      It is good to know that you prefer to choose the translation from
      Bhikkhu Nanamoli and Bhikkhu Bodhi as being more accurate than
      Horner's. According to you, the sentence from the CSCD version is
      translated literally as:

      "Indeed, Ananda, the disciple is not fit to follow the teacher
      on account of this, that is to say, prose, prose and verse, and
      exposition." (Na kho, AAnanda, arahati saavako satthaara.m
      anubandhitu.m yadida.m sutta.m geyya.m veyyaakara.na.m tassa hetu)

      A person emailed me that the corresponding Chinese version, MA 191 (T
      1, 739c4), also records the three terms clearly (prose, prose and
      verse, and exposition). This is very interesting. But I am unable to
      confirm this information for sure.

      Thank you to all.

      Sincerely,

      Thomas Law

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Anderson" <jimanderson.on@...>
      wrote:

      > Dear Thomas,
      >
      > >> In MN vol. III, p. 115:
      > >>
      > >> '' Na kho, AAnanda, arahati saavako satthaara.m anubandhitu.m
      > >> yadida.m sutta.m geyya.m veyyakara.nassa hetu''
      >
      > Instead of "veyyakara.nassa hetu", the CSCD version
      reads "veyyaakara.na.m
      > tassa hetu". I think the latter is the correct one.
      >
      > >> Horner's translation, p. 159: ''Ananda, it is not fit that a
      disciple
      > >> should follow after a teacher if it is for the sake of an
      exposition
      > >> of the Discourses that are in prose and in prose and verse''
      > >>
      > >> Bhikkhu Nanamoli and Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation, p. 976: ''
      Ananda,

      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 3, 2008
        Dear Piya,

        Op 3-okt-2008, om 4:00 heeft Piya Tan het volgende geschreven:
        Does this mean that all the nine angas are already there even when the
        Buddha started teaching?

        The Buddha taught for 45 years. Understandably, the nine angas could
        have
        evolved eventually, perhaps after the first 20 years when the Buddha's
        audience
        was not so spiritually ready as during the first 20 years.
        --------
        N: I do not think the audience was less ready, perhaps even more
        ready. There were so many arahats.
        As to the history, I do not have an answer. I only know that the
        whole Tipitaka was rehearsed at the first council. Of each sutta
        Anada said: eva.m me sutta.m.
        It was not said that the Buddha spoke the suttas in this or that
        order, such as the Ones, the Twos, etc. All the arahats that
        rehearsed together had a fabulous memory, not darkened by defilements
        such as in our case.
        ----------

        P: But I find it hard to imagine that the Dharma appeared in the
        world as the
        nine angas as a full set.
        -------
        N: But when we read them in certain suttas they were there at that
        time. Perhaps not the first year of his teaching, but later on, we
        are not able to know now.
        -----------

        P: I hope you understand what I am trying to say here.

        My point is also that if the Sutta says "Sutta and Geyya" and maybe also
        "Veyyakara.na", I see no problem in accepting it as it is. There is no
        reason to read more into it or "standardize" this to the nine angas.

        This then becomes dogma.
        ---------
        N: As to Veyyakara.na, the Atthasaalinii explains: < The entire
        Abhidhamma-Pi.taka, Suttas without verses and any other words of the
        Buddha not included in the eight parts should be understood as
        Veyyaakara.na, or exposition.>
        He taught Abhidhamma from the beginning but we also know that
        Saariputta, the General of the Dhamma , systematizised the Abhidhamma.

        You want to beware of dogma, but there is no danger if we see that
        the essence of the teachings is not theoretical. Whatever we read, be
        it a Tipi.ta text or commentary or tiika, we always have to ask
        ourselves: how can this help me now, in the development of
        understanding of this very moment? Otherwise all our study would be
        mogha. Whatever I read or translate, I really try to get the meaning
        relevant to this moment of my life.
        I like the following sutta, where all the nine angas are mentioned:

        Anguttara Nikaaya, Book of the Fours, XIX, 186) �Approach� (Ummagga)

        On the meaning of �mastery, being well learned and knowing Dhamma by
        heart:

        �...�Well, monk, I have taught Sutta, Geyya, Veyyaakara.na ,Gaathaa,
        Udaana, Itivuttaka, Jaataka, Abbhutadhamma and Vedalla .Now if a monk
        understands the meaning and (text of) dhamma, - even if it be but a
        stanza
        of four lines, - and be set on living in accordance with Dhamma, he may
        well be called �one widely learned, who knows Dhamma by heart.��
        --------

        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 3, 2008
          Dear Nina and Pali friends,

          That's quite a lot of words, but we agree on the essential point.

          On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 3:28 PM, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:

          > Dear Piya,
          >
          > Op 3-okt-2008, om 4:00 heeft Piya Tan het volgende geschreven:

          > Does this mean that all the nine angas are already there even when the
          > Buddha started teaching?
          >
          > The Buddha taught for 45 years. Understandably, the nine angas could
          > have
          > evolved eventually, perhaps after the first 20 years when the Buddha's
          > audience
          > was not so spiritually ready as during the first 20 years.
          > --------
          > N: I do not think the audience was less ready, perhaps even more
          > ready. There were so many arahats.
          > As to the history, I do not have an answer. I only know that the
          > whole Tipitaka was rehearsed at the first council. Of each sutta
          > Anada said: eva.m me sutta.m.
          > It was not said that the Buddha spoke the suttas in this or that
          > order, such as the Ones, the Twos, etc. All the arahats that
          > rehearsed together had a fabulous memory, not darkened by defilements
          > such as in our case.
          > ----------

          My main question regarding the "history" (as you put it) remains. It's
          obvious
          from the Vinaya stories and early Suttas that the Buddha gradually
          introduced
          the Dharma to the world.

          Even the First Council did not put together everything. For example, the
          Kathavatthu which was canonized during Asoka's time.

          As regards whether the Buddha taught Abhidharma, let leave it at that.
          However, anyone interested in my research on how Abhidhamma "began"
          is welcome to read it:

          http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com/01Abhidhammapiya.doc.

          My point remains: we cannot apply the nine angas as a set to all the Suttas.
          Maybe to the much later texts. Maybe even not those, but the whole anga
          system is post-Buddha.

          Even if we say "the Arhats" put the texts together, we do not know this
          first-hand. It is still pi.taka,sampadaaya.

          Anyway I still have no doubt about the Dharma, notwithstanding whether the
          Angas refer to the whole Canon or not.

          We are building quite a raft here: let's start using it.

          With metta,

          Piya Tan

          The Minding Centre
          Singapore 650644
          Tel: 8211 0879
          Website: dharmafarer.googlepages.com

          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 3, 2008
            Dear Piya,
            Thanks for your mail.
            Op 3-okt-2008, om 10:34 heeft Piya Tan het volgende geschreven:

            > We are building quite a raft here: let's start using it.
            -----
            N: I am all for it. I do not believe in long debates about the
            Abhidhamma. When I first came to the list you wrote a really lovely
            welcome to me, also about Abhidhamma, I will not forget it. Then it
            appeared that we had different ideas about it, but this does not matter.
            In my answer I tried to convey that the Abhidhamma is in you and all
            around you, although you may not know it. We do not have to think of
            books. When I read in the sutta that seeing is anatta I see
            Abhidhamma in the sutta: paramattha dhammas, nama and rupa, are
            anatta, not persons and things. But no long debates now. Thank you
            anyway for writing,
            Nina.
            P.S. Your link did not work.

            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 3, 2008
              Dear Nina, Yong Peng, & Pali friends,

              I'm aware attachments won't work here.

              Here is a link (hope this is OK):

              http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com/26.1_DhammaAbhidhamma_piya.pdf

              The previous one was broken, sorry.

              Any problems, contact me, I will send the file personally.

              With metta,

              Piya Tan

              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 3, 2008
                Dear Mahinda Palihawadana,

                Thank you very much for giving the commentary's information to
                support the CSCD version and the translation suggested by Jim. Could
                you please tell us the vol. and page number of the commentary you
                refer to?

                Thank you.

                Thomas Law

                --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "mahipaliha" <mahipal6@...> wrote:

                > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Anderson" <jimanderson.on@> wrote:
                > > Instead of "veyyakara.nassa hetu", the CSCD version
                > reads "veyyaakara.na.m
                > > tassa hetu". I think the latter is the correct one.
                > > I think the two readings as noted above account for the main
                > difference in
                > > the two translations. I would choose the second one as being more
                > accurate ...
                >
                > The commentary is helpful here. It represents the Buddha as saying
                > that a monk should not run behind the Teacher for the sake of
                (simply)
                > learning his sayings in the form of discourses, verses and
                > expositions. The Comy asks why does the Buddha say this here, when
                > elsewhere (it gives an Anguttara ref.) he has praised learning and
                > compared a person who has learned (the teachings) - a 'bahussuta'-
                > a well-armed warrior. The reason it says is that rote learning
                (suta-
                > pariyatti) is not what the B. recommends, but learning which is
                > accompanied by appropriate "graduated practice" (anuloma
                pa.tipadaa),
                > i.e., the tenfold 'talk' enumerated thereafter in this Sutta, which
                > ten would lead one to wisdom, deliverance etc. The text then is, as
                > you point out, "yadida.m sutta.m geyya.m veyyaakara.na.m tassa
                hetu".
                > It still looks an awkward wording, of course.
                >
                > Mahinda Palihawadana

              • Mahinda Palihawadana
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 4, 2008
                  Dear Thomas Law,

                  I used the online version of CSCD itself. I don't know if you have used the
                  CSCD commentaries before. You have to click on A.t.thakathaa and select
                  Majjhima Nikaya; then select the relevant section, in this case the last
                  volume, (uparipa.n.naasa). Then you have to select the subsection i.e.
                  su`n`natavagga Then you have to select the Sutta. The Mahaasu`n`nata Sutta
                  is the second sutta of this vagga. Once you get there, you have to scroll
                  down to the relevant paragraph. Good luck.
                  Mahinda P.

                  On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 9:10 AM, thomaslaw03 <thomaslaw03@...>wrote:

                  > Dear Mahinda Palihawadana,
                  >
                  > Thank you very much for giving the commentary's information to
                  > support the CSCD version and the translation suggested by Jim. Could
                  > you please tell us the vol. and page number of the commentary you
                  > refer to?
                  >
                  > Thank you.
                  >
                  > Thomas Law
                  >

                  > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com <Pali%40yahoogroups.com>, "mahipaliha"
                  > <mahipal6@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com <Pali%40yahoogroups.com>, "Jim Anderson"
                  > <jimanderson.on@> wrote:
                  > > > Instead of "veyyakara.nassa hetu", the CSCD version
                  > > reads "veyyaakara.na.m
                  > > > tassa hetu". I think the latter is the correct one.
                  > > > I think the two readings as noted above account for the main
                  > > difference in
                  > > > the two translations. I would choose the second one as being more
                  > > accurate ...
                  > >
                  > > The commentary is helpful here. It represents the Buddha as saying
                  > > that a monk should not run behind the Teacher for the sake of
                  > (simply)
                  > > learning his sayings in the form of discourses, verses and
                  > > expositions. The Comy asks why does the Buddha say this here, when
                  > > elsewhere (it gives an Anguttara ref.) he has praised learning and
                  > > compared a person who has learned (the teachings) - a 'bahussuta'-
                  > > a well-armed warrior. The reason it says is that rote learning
                  > (suta-
                  > > pariyatti) is not what the B. recommends, but learning which is
                  > > accompanied by appropriate "graduated practice" (anuloma
                  > pa.tipadaa),
                  > > i.e., the tenfold 'talk' enumerated thereafter in this Sutta, which
                  > > ten would lead one to wisdom, deliverance etc. The text then is, as
                  > > you point out, "yadida.m sutta.m geyya.m veyyaakara.na.m tassa
                  > hetu".
                  > > It still looks an awkward wording, of course.
                  > >
                  > > Mahinda Palihawadana

                • thomaslaw03
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 6, 2008
                    Dear Pali friends,

                    In the PTS version, Anguttara-nikaya III 237.14-19 (AN 5.194), it has a
                    list of just four angas: sutta, geyya, veyyakarana, abbhutadhamma (i.e.
                    angas nos. 1, 2, 3, and 8).

                    Is it possible this list is an abbreviation of the entire set?
                    (i.e. '(1) sutta, (2) geyya, (3) veyyakarana, ... (9) Vedalla, (8)
                    abbhuta-dhamma'). How do other Pali versions record or comment on the
                    words of the text?

                    Thank you.

                    Thomas Law
                  • Kumaara Bhikkhu
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 14, 2008
                      The CSCD has the same and does not indicate any variant reading.

                      I wonder if this may be an earlier list compared the traditional set of nine. As I understand from scholars, the suttas went through an evolution, which involved attempts to standardise things and even to endorse later texts. This may have escaped that. Perhaps the editors did not find it necessary to change this as it does not say that the Buddha or an ordained disciple of his said it.

                      Btw, I find this sutta somewhat peculiar at the end when Karanapali says, "Let Master Pingayani accept me as a lay follower who has gone for refuge from today until life's end." (trans. Bhikkhu Bodhi). Huh?

                      kb, who decided to drop by again

                      thomaslaw03 wrote thus at 03:13 PM 06-10-08:
                      >Dear Pali friends,
                      >
                      >In the PTS version, Anguttara-nikaya III 237.14-19 (AN 5.194), it has a
                      >list of just four angas: sutta, geyya, veyyakarana, abbhutadhamma (i.e.
                      >angas nos. 1, 2, 3, and 8).
                      >
                      >Is it possible this list is an abbreviation of the entire set?
                      >(i.e. '(1) sutta, (2) geyya, (3) veyyakarana, ... (9) Vedalla, (8)
                      >abbhuta-dhamma'). How do other Pali versions record or comment on the
                      >words of the text?
                      >
                      >Thank you.
                      >
                      >Thomas Law

                      peace2u,
                      kb

                      New email address: kumara.bhikkhu@...
                      The old address (venkumara@...) is still valid, but is expected to expire some time next year.
                    • thomaslaw03
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 14, 2008
                        Dear Kumaara, and Pali friends,

                        Thank you very much for your reply, Kumaara. If you consider that the
                        only four angas shown in the AN could be an earlier list (compared
                        the traditional set of nine), then, the only first three angas found
                        in the MN (and the MA) were likely the earliest or earlier than the
                        four set in AN (which the four set could be an abbreviation of the
                        entire set of nine?).

                        Suggested by Jim and Mahinda, the CSCD version and the commentary
                        have: " ... veyyaakara.na.m tassa hetu" (that is, "yadida.m sutta.m
                        geyya.m veyyaakara.na.m tassa hetu"), instead of "... veyyakara.nassa
                        hetu" in the PTS version (MN vol. III, p. 115). I wonder how do the
                        Thai/Siam and Sinhalese versions record the words of the text?

                        Thank you.

                        Regards,

                        Thomas Law

                        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Kumaara Bhikkhu <yg@...> wrote:

                        > The CSCD has the same and does not indicate any variant reading.
                        >
                        > I wonder if this may be an earlier list compared the traditional
                        set of nine. As I understand from scholars, the suttas went through
                        an evolution, which involved attempts to standardise things and even
                        to endorse later texts. This may have escaped that. Perhaps the
                        editors did not find it necessary to change this as it does not say
                        that the Buddha or an ordained disciple of his said it.

                        > Btw, I find this sutta somewhat peculiar at the end when Karanapali
                        says, "Let Master Pingayani accept me as a lay follower who has gone
                        for refuge from today until life's end." (trans. Bhikkhu Bodhi). Huh?

                        > kb, who decided to drop by again
                        >
                        > thomaslaw03 wrote thus at 03:13 PM 06-10-08:
                        > >Dear Pali friends,
                        > >
                        > >In the PTS version, Anguttara-nikaya III 237.14-19 (AN 5.194), it
                        has a
                        > >list of just four angas: sutta, geyya, veyyakarana, abbhutadhamma
                        (i.e.
                        > >angas nos. 1, 2, 3, and 8).
                        > >
                        > >Is it possible this list is an abbreviation of the entire set?
                        > >(i.e. '(1) sutta, (2) geyya, (3) veyyakarana, ... (9) Vedalla, (8)
                        > >abbhuta-dhamma'). How do other Pali versions record or comment on
                        the
                        > >words of the text?
                        > >
                        > >Thank you.
                        > >
                        > >Thomas Law
                        > >

                        > >------------------------------------

                        > peace2u,
                        > kb
                        >
                        > New email address: kumara.bhikkhu@...
                        > The old address (venkumara@...) is still valid, but is expected to
                        expire some time next year.

                      • Mahinda Palihawadana
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 15, 2008
                          Dear Thomas Law,
                          In the Sinhala editions it is, as in CSCD, "sutta.m geyya.m
                          veyyaakara.na.m".

                          Mahinda

                        • thomaslaw03
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 21, 2008
                            Dear Mahinda, and Pali friends,

                            Thank you very much, Mahinda, for the information about the Sinhala
                            edition.

                            A person emailed me about the Thai edition of the words:

                            The Syaamara.t.tha edition, vol. 14, p. 241: "na kho aananda arahati
                            saavako satthaara.m anubandhitu.m yadida.m suttageyyaveyyaakara.nassa
                            sotu.m, ta.m kissa hetu."

                            I don't know Thai, so cannot confirm this information. Hopefully
                            someone here can help to confirm the words.

                            Can anyone help to translate the above-mentioned Thai Pali sentence?
                            Are there any big differences from the Sinhala and CSCD versions? Why
                            the PTS version has different words? (I thought that the PTS follows
                            closely the Sinhala edition?)

                            Thank you.

                            Thomas Law

                            P.S.:

                            PTS edition: "na kho, aananda, arahati saavako satthaara.m
                            anubandhitu.m yadida.m sutta.m geyya.m veyyaakara.nassa hetu." (MN
                            vol. 111, p. 115)

                            CSCD and Sinhala editions (page unknown), and the commentary
                            (Papa~ncasuudanii)(page unknown):
                            "na kho, ... yadida.m sutta.m geyya.m veyyaakara.na.m tassa hetu."

                            --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Mahinda Palihawadana" <mahipal6@...>