Re: [Pali] Re: Pali Day by Day G033 - The New Pali Course Part II - Ex 12

  • Mahinda Palihawadana
    Message 1 of 134 , Oct 2, 2008
      Dear Nina and Florent,

      It is interesting that in 'avakaasa' too we have a preference shown to a
      form closer to Sanskrit (avakaa'sa) than 'okaasa' which is commoner in
      earlier Pali works.

      Incidentally, I had the chance to take a look at a 14th century Sinhala
      translation of Hatthavanagalla-vihaara-va.msa and found that the readings
      'mahaakaru.nayaa' and "tassa hi vatthuta.nhaa" are correct. However, the
      erudite editor of the Sinhala work, Munidasa Kumaratunga has, unfortunately
      for the author of the Pali poem, conclusively shown that nearly all his
      "poetical conceptions" are borrowed from two Sanskrit works, Jaatakamaalaa
      and Kaadambarii!

      Mahinda

      Message 134 of 134 , Feb 23, 2010
        Dear friends,

        below is the link to NPC2 study guide, if you are looking for it.

        http://www.tipitaka.net/palicourseguide2.pdf