Re: Pali Day by Day G033 - The New Pali Course Part II - Ex 12

  • flrobert2000
    Message 1 of 134 , Oct 1, 2008
      Dear Palihawadana and Yong Peng,

      Thank you very much for your explanations and attempts to translate
      these verses. How do you explain though that the CSCD has "Duura.m
      jagaama viya tassa bhavatthu ta.nhaa". Do you think it is a mistake
      and are there many such mistakes in the CSCD?

      Moreover Buddhadatta translates paha.taavakaasaa by "obstructed;
      being not given a place. adj." (see p89). How would you explain that?

      I will try to translate the preceding lines. It might give us some
      clarifications on the meaning.

      Kind regards,

      Florent

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Mahinda Palihawadana" <mahipal6@...>
      wrote:

      > Dear Yong,
      > Thanks.
      > The order of words you give is that of English. It would of
      course be
      > different by the Pali order. In Pali we never begin a sentence
      with a
      > particle like 'viya'.
      > No problem with mahaa. What is important is "karu.nayaa'paha.ta".
      It has to
      > be thus by virtue of the Vasantatilakaa metre. (LLSLSSSLSSLSLL
      where L
      > stands for long syllable and S for short.You can see that the 8th
      syllable
      > has to be long.)
      >
      > The 'poetic idea' here is that compassion so filled his heart
      that there
      > was no space (avakaasa) in it for feelings of greed - i.e.,
      compassion
      > totally banished (apaha.ta) greed.
      >
      > Sorry about the typing errors in my hurriedly composed second post.
      >
      > Mahinda
      >
      > On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 6:35 PM, Ong Yong Peng <palismith@...>
      wrote:

      > > Dear Mahinda and Florent,
      > >
      > > Mahinda, thanks for your explanation, particularly on Pali metre,
      > > which I am not familiar with. However, just to point out, 'mahaa-
      '
      > > was in the original question.
      > >
      > > "Citte mahaakaru.nayaa c
      > > Duura.m jagaama viya tassa hi vatthuta.nhaa."
      > >
      > > I would rewrite in prose as (again, without considering the
      preceding
      > > text):
      > >
      > > "Viya tassa vatthuta.nhaa citte mahaakaru.naaya paha.taavakaasaa
      hi
      > > duura.m jagaama."
      > > "Just as his desire for wealth, obstructed by the great
      compassion of
      > > the heart, has indeed gone far."
      > >
      > > Florent, we can still look at the preceding text if you want to.
      > >
      > > metta,
      > > Yong Peng.
      > >
      > > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com <Pali%40yahoogroups.com>, Mahinda
      Palihawadana
      > > wrote:
      > >
      > > Going by what you have quoted from the text book, it looks as if
      the
      > > prose order of the words in this stanza is: "tassa vatthu-
      ta.nhaa hi
      > > citte mahaa-karu.nayaa apaha.ta-avakaasaa duura.m jagaama viya".
      This
      > > could (literally) mean: "His greed for wealth (vatthu) was as if
      it
      > > had gone far (away), space (avakaassa) (for it) having been
      taken away
      > > (denied) by the great compassion of the heart."
      > >
      > > The correct punctuation would
      be "mahaakaru.nayaa'paha.taavakaasaa..."

      Message 134 of 134 , Feb 23, 2010

        below is the link to NPC2 study guide, if you are looking for it.

        http://www.tipitaka.net/palicourseguide2.pdf