Re: [Pali] Digest Number 2296]

  • Nyanatusita
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 28, 2008
      Nyanatusita wrote:
      Dear Jon,

      Thanks for the info about Dines Andersen's glossary. My normal (un-)
      zip program (called TUGzip, a freeware) had no problems opening it and
      there was no need for a special Japanese program.
      Did you try the Thesaurus of Pali Gatha on the same website? It seems
      to me that it is not finished yet.

      Regards,
      Bh. Nyanatusita

      Glossary for Dines Andersen Pali Reader available online:
      http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~pali-bud/sub3.html

      Need special Japanese unzip utility;
      http://www.altools.com/Downloads/ALZip.aspx

    • Jon Fernquest
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 29, 2008
        Dear Nyanatusita;

        "Did you try the Thesaurus of Pali Gatha on the same website? It
        seems to me that it is not finished yet."

        I have never heard about it before til I saw it on that site.
        If anyone knows about it, sure would be interesting in learning more.
        There is also the Pali Tipi.taka.m Concordance of 1952 by Woodward and
        others, dated to 1952 and "in progress" in Warder's bibliography.
        Wonder what this did and what became of it? Warder says it is a "basic
        tool for the study of the grammar and lexis of the canon" and
        definitely sounds like something that computers excel at.

        Seems like with a comprehensive online dictionary database, a
        thesaurus would be another useful reference work that could be created
        at least in a rough form, fairly quickly, and then be improved upon
        gradually.

        [Thank you again Piya Tan for the help. Will send personal thank you
        later when I am completely finished so as not to use everyone's bandwidth]

        With metta,
        Jon

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 29, 2008
          Bhante, Jon, and Pali friends,

          I'm delighted that more and more Plai reference works are being made
          available
          online. This really facilitates Pali and Buddhist studies, esp translation
          work.
          In an important sense, this lengthens our lifespans by way of cutting down
          the
          time for retrieving of those materials that have been worked before. So we
          need
          mainly to focus on what needs to be done.

          Andersen's Pali Glossary (for the Dhammapada) is another welcome entry.
          However, the unique codings used have to be globally converted into the
          standard diacritics or Velthuis. I have converted mine to standard
          diacritics,
          but still needs to check if all the diacritics has been converted.

          If anyone wants this copy, please let me know. I also welcome a completely
          diacritic-updated one, if any. This is in MS Word.

          With metta,

          Piya

          --
          The Minding Centre
          Singapore 650644

        • P G Dave
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 29, 2008
            piya,

            please send me a copy.

            thanks.

            PG
            __________________________________-

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2008
              PG,

              Here you are,

              Best wishes,

              Piya

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 2, 2008
                You forgot to attach it, piya :-)

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 3, 2008
                  Dear PG and Piya,

                  file attachments are automatically dropped from incoming mails. This
                  helps to prevent the spread of viruses and unnecessary large mails to
                  members who receive individual mails.

                  Please use the Files section at Yahoo! Groups to share files, or do so
                  outside the list. Thank you.

                  You forgot to attach it, piya :-)