Re: [Pali] Re: Jataka 16 - Jâtaka 16: Tip allatthamiga Jataka (translation question)

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 28, 2008
      Jon,

      nasika,sota is a compound meaning "nostril".
      "Sota" seems to have the sense of an "aperture" here.

      And Yes to (9) (please correct it).

      Piya

      --
      The Minding Centre
      Singapore 650644

    • P G Dave
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 29, 2008
        this seems to be the appropriate break-up of "matakaakaara.m":

        Mataka + aakaara.m = matakaakaara.m

        Mataka = dead, one who is dead // aakaara.m = form, condition, state
        so, matakaakaara.m = one who is in a dead state
        AND
        matakaakaara.m dasseti = one who appears to be in a dead state

        with metta,

        PG