Jataka 16 - Jātaka 16: Tipallatthamiga Jataka (translation question)

  • Jon Fernquest
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 28, 2008
      Dear List Members;

      Like Freeyow's interlinear translation,
      I tried a passage, full of participles (absolutives)
      and pathos from a Jataka describing an deer feigning
      death, but some words are difficult to figure out.
      Any help much appreciated:

      1. mahaaphaasukapassena
      2. uccaarapassaava.m
      3. khe.lakilinna.m
      4. vaataggaha.nena
      5. he.t.thaanaasikasotena
      6. uparimanaasikasotena
      8. matakaakaara.m

      [<a
      href="http://burmesepalilexicography.blogspot.com/2008/09/jtaka-16-tipallatthamiga-jataka-young.html">Unicode
      version</a>]

      Jaataka 16: Tipallatthamiga Jataka -
      young stag caught in net feigns his death to escape

      so pi migapotako paase baddho avipphanditvaa
      yeva bhuumiya.m mahaaphaasukapassena paade pasaaretvaa nipanno
      paadaana.m aasanna.t.thaane khureh 'eva paharitvaa
      pa.msu ca ti.naani ca uppaa.tetvaa,
      uccaarapassaava.m vissajjetvaa,
      siisa.m paatetvaa
      jivha.m ninnaametva
      sariira.m khe.lakilinna.m katvaa
      vaataggaha.nena udara.m uddhumaataka.m katvaa
      akkhiini parivattetvaa
      he.t.thaanaasikasotena vaata.m sa~ncaraapento
      uparimanaasikasotena vaata.m sannirumhitvaa
      sakalasariira.m thaddhabhaava.m gaahaapetvaa
      matakaakaara.m dassesi

      The young antelope bound by a noose,
      without trying to break loose,
      lying on its side on the ground,
      its legs outstretched,
      was kicking its hoofs,
      trampling the dust and the weeds, defecating, its head down, its
      tongue out,
      sweat all over its body,
      its belly swollen,
      tears rolling from its eyes,
      letting out its breath through the lower nostril
      and keeping it in by the upper nostril,
      its body having become rigid,
      pretended to be dead.

      With metta
      Jon Fernquest

      Line by line:

      Tipallatthamiga - deer anxious for training ?

      so pi migapotako paase baddho avipphanditvaa
      The young antelope bound by a noose, without trying to break loose,

      miga - deer
      potaka - (m) young one
      paasa - (n) noose
      baddho - bound (pp bandhati)
      vipphandati - flounder, struggle, writhe, vibrate, fluctuate
      avipphanditvaa - not trying to break loose or struggle

      yeva bhuumiya.m mahaaphaasukapassena paade pasaaretvaa nipanno
      lying on its side on the ground, its legs outstretched,

      bhuumi - (m) ground
      nipanna - lie (pp nipajjati)
      pasaareti - (vt) outstretch
      pasaarita - (pp) outstretch
      paade pasaaretvaa - legs outstretched
      phaasukaa - (f) rib
      mahaaphaasukapassena - on its side ?

      paadaana.m aasanna.t.thaane khureh 'eva paharitvaa
      was kicking its hoofs,

      paada - (m) leg
      aasanna.t.thaana - (nt) reach
      khura - (n) hoof
      paadena paharati - (vt) kick

      pa.msu ca ti.naani ca uppaa.tetvaa,
      trampling the dust and the weeds,

      pa.msu - (nt) soil, dust
      ti.na - (n) grass, weeds
      uppaa.tetvaa - trample ?
      uppatita - caper, fly, jump

      uccaarapassaava.m vissajjetvaa,
      defecating,

      vissajjeti - let loose, answer, fling, hurl, spend, vacate, send off,
      reply
      [visati - to enter, -visitvaa (grd), -vissa (grd),visitu.m (inf)]
      uccaara.m ossajati - (vi) stool

      siisa.m paatetvaa
      its head down

      siisa - (n) head
      opaateti - lower
      paateti - drop, fell, pitch, throw

      jivha.m ninnaametva
      its tongue out

      jivhaa - (n) tongue
      ninnimitta casual

      sariira.m khe.lakilinna.m katvaa
      sweat all over its body

      khe.lakilinna.m katva - sweat?
      sariira - (m) body

      vaataggaha.nena udara.m uddhumaataka.m katvaa
      its belly inflated (swollen)

      udara - (n) belly
      uddhumaata - swollen
      vaataggaha.nena - ?
      vaatagatika - aeriform ?

      akkhiini parivattetvaa
      tears rolling from its eyes

      akkhi - (n) eye
      parivattati - roll

      he.t.thaanaasikasotena vaata.m sa~ncaraapento
      letting out its breath through the lower nostril

      he.t.thaanaasikasotena - through its lower nostril
      naasaa - (f) nose
      vaata - (m) air, wind
      sa~ncaraapento - letting out ?
      sa~ncarati - move about, pass, walk

      uparimanaasikasotena vaata.m sannirumhitvaa
      and keeping it in by the upper nostril

      uparimanaasikasotena - by the upper nostril
      upari - upper
      sannirumhitvaa - kept in
      sannirumbheti - impede, restrain

      sakalasariira.m thaddhabhaava.m gaahaapetvaa
      its body having become rigid

      thaddha - hard, tough, rigid
      sakala - all, full, total, whole

      matakaakaara.m dassesi
      pretended to be dead

      mata - dead
      dasseti - pretend
      kaakaara.m dasseti - ?

      In: The Pali language by T.Y. Elizarenkova, V.N. Toporov, Nauka Pub.
      House, Moscow, 1976, pages

      125-126.
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 28, 2008
        Jon,

        See if this works (but adjust the tenses accordingly):

        1. mahaaphaasukapassena -- (lie down) on his side in great comfort
        2. uccaarapassaava.m -- defaecating and urinating
        3. khe.lakilinna.m -- dripping in sweat (sometimes "drooling")
        4. vaataggaha.nena -- holding his breath
        5. he.t.thaanaasikasotena -- with the lower nostril
        6. uparimanaasikasotena -- with the upper nostril
        8. matakaakaara.m -- "make (himself) dead"
        9. kaakaara.m dasseti -- looks like (he is) dead

        Metta,

        Piya

        --
        The Minding Centre
        Singapore 650644

      • Jon Fernquest
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 28, 2008
          Dear Piya Tan;

          Thanks for the hints:

          1. mahaaphaasukapassen a -- (lie down) on his side in great comfort
          2. uccaarapassaava. m -- defaecating and urinating
          3. khe.lakilinna. m -- dripping in sweat (sometimes "drooling")
          4. vaataggaha.nena -- holding his breath
          5. he.t.thaanaasikasot ena -- with the lower nostril
          6. uparimanaasikasoten a -- with the upper nostril
          8. matakaakaara. m -- "make (himself) dead"
          9. kaakaara.m dasseti -- looks like (he is) dead

          My reformulation below.

          In 5,6, for example: he.t.thaanaasikasotena
          is it sotena = by ear ?
          implying "the sound of" ?

          And in 8,9 is it:
          atakaakaara.m = mataka + kaara.m - make (himself) dead

          [<a
          href="http://burmesepalilexicography.blogspot.com/2008/09/jtaka-16-tipallatthamiga-jataka-young.html">Unicode
          version</a>]

          with metta,
          Jon

          1.
          mahaaphaasukapassena - (lie down) on his side in great comfort
          phaasu - comfort
          phaasukara - comfortable
          phaasuka - in comfort
          aphaasuka - comfortless, without comfort

          2.
          uccaarapassaava.m - defecating and urinating
          uccaara - faeces
          passaava - urine

          3.
          khe.lakilinna.m - dripping in sweat, drooling in sweat
          spittle - khela (m), laalaa (f)
          kilinna - wet, humid

          4.
          vaataggaha.nena - holding his breath
          vaata - (m) air, wind
          gaha.na - hold, capture, seize

          5, 6.
          he.t.thaanaasikasotena - with the lower nostril
          uparimanaasikasotena - with the upper nostril
          he.t.thaa - down, under, underneath
          naasikaa - nose
          sota - (nt) ear

          8,9.
          matakaakaara.m = mataka + kaara.m - make (himself) dead
          dasseti - show, pretend

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 28, 2008
            Jon,

            nasika,sota is a compound meaning "nostril".
            "Sota" seems to have the sense of an "aperture" here.

            And Yes to (9) (please correct it).

            Piya

            --
            The Minding Centre
            Singapore 650644
            Tel: 8211 0879
            Website: dharmafarer.googlepages.com

          • P G Dave
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 29, 2008
              this seems to be the appropriate break-up of "matakaakaara.m":

              Mataka + aakaara.m = matakaakaara.m

              Mataka = dead, one who is dead // aakaara.m = form, condition, state
              so, matakaakaara.m = one who is in a dead state
              AND
              matakaakaara.m dasseti = one who appears to be in a dead state

              with metta,

              PG