Re: [Pali] Dhp-a III 128 on Dhp 153d

  • Jim Anderson
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 22, 2008
      Dear Mahinda,

      I had thought that "missattaaya" was probably a mistake, as a dative
      ending doesn't seem right. In the PTS ed. of 1906, "missattaa" is
      mentioned among the 3 variant readings given in the footnotes. Dr.
      O.H. Pind has suggested the possibility of a "missitataaya" (missita +
      taa).

      Regarding your message with the translation and notes, I have this to
      say:

      > tasmaa ta.m gavesanto sandhaavissanti attho.

      Your translation:
      "The meaning is that (therefore) I travelled on
      (sandhaavissa.m), looking for him."

      I think it would make better sense to place "The meaning is that" in
      front of "because" at the beginning of the whole passage.

      And also in:
      > (Commentary says the house is the sense of self and ignorance
      > is the builder of it.)

      Isn't craving (ta.nhaa) the builder? (kaaraka.m ta.nhaava.d.dhaki.m,
      in the same commentary on p. 128). The metaphor for "avijjaa" is
      represented by "gahakuu.ta.m" the ridge-pole of the house
      (avijjaasa"nkhaata.m ka.n.nikama.n.dalampi, pp. 128-9). I take it that
      "ka.n.nikama.n.dalam" (lit. ear-circle ??) is a gloss for -kuuta.m but
      I get confused by such translations as "ridge-pole".

      Best wishes,
      Jim

      > Dear Jim, Nina,
      >
      > I see that there is a big mistake in my previous post. It is
      'missattaaya'. > The correct reading is 'missattaa' (Skt mi'sratvaat)
      and that is actually > how it is found in the DhpA edition of Ven.
      A.P. Buddhadatta (the same monk > who wrote the The New Pali Course)..
      The two acceptable readings are this > and 'missataaya' (Skt
      mi'ratayaa), both abstract nouns The first is from > a neuter form
      (missatta.m =Skt mi'sratvam) and hence the -aaya ending would > result
      in a dative word. The second is from a feminine from (missataa =Skt >
      mi'srataa) and the -ya ending is OK. The required case is ablative,
      giving > the sense "due to the fact of being mixed/tied up with".

      > Mahinda
    • Mahinda Palihawadana
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 22, 2008
        Thanks.
        "iti attho * (that is the meaning) is a common way in A.t.thakathaas to end
        a commentarial sentence or passage, or to make explicit what may be
        implicit. "tasmaa" can be translated as 'therefore'.
        I wonder why it is necessary to make a PP out of missa, which as an
        adjective can give rise to the abstarct nouns missataa and missatta.

        Actually kuu.ta.m has a clear meaning, i.e., top, peak. Gaha-kuu.ta.m
        should be the highest point of the roof, at which the rafters meet. I think,
        but am not sure, that the ridge-pole, resting on a cross beam, props up and
        supports the rafters where they meet together. I have such a pole in one
        part of my house!
        Agreed as to the rest. Ta.nhaa is the va.d.dhaki i.e.,carpenter!

        Best wishes.

        Mahinda

      • Jim Anderson
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 23, 2008
          Dear Mahinda,

          > Actually kuu.ta.m has a clear meaning, i.e., top, peak.
          > Gaha-kuu.ta.m should be the highest point of the roof,
          > at which the rafters meet. I think,but am not sure, that
          > the ridge-pole, resting on a cross beam,props up and
          > supports the rafters where they meet together. I have
          > such a pole in one part of my house!

          I found the following in the entry for ka.n.nikaa in the online CPD:

          " b. (t.t. archit.) a ka.n.nikaa roof-plate; ~ denotes a
          circular wooden roof-plate (cf. the term ka.n.nika-
          ma.n.dala, q.v.) crowning a peaked roof (like a kind
          of coping stone), into which the rafters (- gopaana-
          siis) are fitted, thus holding them together and sup-
          porting them (cf. the term gopaanasiibhaaravaha quali-
          fying ~); "

          It continues on with more and there is mention of the term being used
          as a synonym for kuu.ta.

          I don't have such a roof-plate at the peak of the pyramidal-shaped
          roof of my cottage here in Canada.The main roof frame is made up of
          four 2x4's that slope upward from the four corners of the building's
          walls and meet together at one point forming the peak. The ends here
          are shaped so that they all fit together snugly. It's a very strong
          roof that can withstand the heavy weight of snow and ice in the
          winter.

          Best wishes,
          Jim
        • mahipaliha
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 24, 2008
            --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Anderson" <jimanderson.on@...>
            wrote:
            > I found the following in the entry for ka.n.nikaa in the online
            CPD:

            > " b. (t.t. archit.) a ka.n.nikaa roof-plate; ~ denotes a
            > circular wooden roof-plate (cf. the term ka.n.nika-
            > ma.n.dala, q.v.) crowning a peaked roof (like a kind
            > of coping stone), into which the rafters (- gopaana-
            > siis) are fitted, thus holding them together and sup-
            > porting them (cf. the term gopaanasiibhaaravaha quali-
            > fying ~); "
            >
            > It continues on with more and there is mention of the term being
            used
            > as a synonym for kuu.ta.
            >
            > I don't have such a roof-plate at the peak of the pyramidal-shaped
            > roof of my cottage here in Canada.The main roof frame is made up of
            > four 2x4's that slope upward from the four corners of the
            building's
            > walls and meet together at one point forming the peak. The ends
            here
            > are shaped so that they all fit together snugly. It's a very strong
            > roof that can withstand the heavy weight of snow and ice in the
            > winter.
            Very interesting information. Thank you, Jim.

            Mahinda
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 24, 2008
              Jim,

              On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 9:34 PM, Jim Anderson <jimanderson.on@...>wrote:

              > I found the following in the entry for ka.n.nikaa in the online CPD:

              You mentioned "online CPD" or should it be "online PED". I would love to
              know the address
              of the online CPD. Although I have a complete set of the CPD (up to
              ka.lyaanakaarii), it
              would be convenient to have an online on.

              With metta,

              Piya

              --
              The Minding Centre